Traveling with the monster

Replies
Views
Ragdoll
Jan 24, 2013 6:12 am
I'm suppose to go see my Boo next week and I really can't wait...The problem is i will be flying and I'm scared to death...I have talked to some people with and without ostomys and of course they had different advice for me...Someone said to me that the bag would pop open because of pressure...LOL...now I know that's not true..at least I hope not...Someone said don't eat anything until I arrive at my destinaton...That was my plan anyway...I couldn't go the restroom and dump the monster and then open the door...the smell would hit everyone and everyone would throw their peanuts at me...I need some advice....Ragdoll

alagalo13
Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am
they make drops to put in your bag that make it not smell, i've traveled lots with my bag don't worry about it, and your bag is your friend not a monster :)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Steve7809
Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am
Alagalo is right about the drops. Don't worry about the pressure, I had no issues. Also, online you can print off a card that you flash to the TSA that tells them that you have an ostomy before they scan you. I walked right through without any questions. Gl! Steve
Monsieur Le President
Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm
If you're otherwise fit, travelling is no problem.In the plane when you use the loo, put some paper up the front of the bowl before you empty as the water doesn't flush up there. As a Gent I can the flush it down, but you should cup some water in your hands flush the paper into the bottom of the bowl. And remember for EVERYBODY, as the great philosophers never said shit stinks .
Ragdoll
Jan 24, 2013 9:56 pm
Thanks everyone...Steve7809 on what site would I find the card that you speak off

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Steve7809
Jan 24, 2013 11:32 pm
WWW.TSA.gov/traveler.../ostomies Try that one or Google TSA ostomy card. Hope this helps, good luck!
Primeboy
Jan 26, 2013 2:02 am
Hi RD. I have been on a lot of flights since my ileo; some were 13 hours non-stop. I never had any issue with cabin pressure or odors. I would not eat a large meal before boarding because you may have a long wait while the plane is in line for take-off and must remain in your seat. Same for landings. Here's what I would be concerned about as far as flying is concerned. (1) Be sure to keep some ostomy supplies and meds in your carry-ons because checked luggage will get lost. (2) Avoid going to the restroom during turbulance. (3) Bring water to stay hydrated, especially if you have an ileo. (4) Don't worry about the peanut throwers. The air marshalls will take care of them. Good luck and happy flying. PB
firedup
Jan 26, 2013 6:39 pm
@PB....The peanut throwers?...lol
bob.hewson
Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm
I have just flown on three different airlines to get here and will fly the same three to get home on the 8th March.I have flown a few times before and had som trouble including the airline not accepting my supplies as free carry-on {I got a refund for excess baggage later] but this time everything went very well.I printed up a small card in English and the language of the airports I would be visiting just to inform them I had a bag and don't press too hard.One touched it softly the rest just ignored it totally.Please don't make the same mistake I made and book your seets backing onto the toilet wall, the sound of an aircraft toilet flushing all night will wake you every time. Walking a few feet every time is much better.Bob
Ragdoll
Jan 27, 2013 12:46 am
Thank you Bob for the advice...I have a small bag that my doc. gave to me that I carry my supplies in...I was planning on putting it in my carry on bag...do you think that will be ok? It weighs maybe 2 or 3 lbs...I have gotten a sign from another web site informing the airline that I have a ostomy...Glad you made it to your destination and seems like you will be gone for awhile...Looks like you will be coming home March 8...my birthday...Thanks again for advice...Ragdoll
bob.hewson
Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am
You are very welcome, another thing I read some time ago and use as a good example, work out how much product you think you will need then double it.I actually carried 25kg of donated product for the ostomates in the Philippines and while asked what was filling my bag, a quick answer of medical supplies was good enough for the X-ray operators.I will never put my product in the check-in luggage as if it goes missing I am in big trouble getting new supplies. Carry-on is the only way and if it forms part of your carry-on weight you can have no problems. I was given my 6 kg of carry-on appliances free in addition to my normal carry-on luggage.I would not have been away so long if I did not push 22/01/2013 instead of 22/02/2013 as planed and the airline wanted $82.00 per person per leg, three legs, four people to change it, so yes I will be away for some time.Have a great 21st birthday.Bob
Ragdoll
Jan 30, 2013 3:32 am
Thanks Bob...for the info but thank you most for my 21st bday...you made my day with that one :)
sourdough
Jan 30, 2013 4:40 am
Ragdoll,Again I will point out that you are like a lighting rod in that you have generated a lot of comments and information. This is a good thing in that people need to open up and say what they feel and not be afraid to lay it on the line. When you look at the Bio's of the people that are relating to you, you have to ask yourself'Can that person understand how I feel. Well I would have to say that any person with a Bag can relate regardless of age or circumstances or status.I say this in view of the fact of my age. To know me would be surprising to find out how old I am. Most people think of me in my fifties or early sixties. I point this out in that when I received my Bag it was result of Cancer. That I licked and it took about a year to really feel healed from the surgery. The emotional aspect to being different is another aspect. To deal with that you just have to be Mature in your approach to life. There is the introspection and then there is reality and you have to figure it out. Now then, I was in my fifties when this development came about and I realized it was a critical time but time turned out to be on my side. I wasn't planning on being physiological at this time it was just something that came out. What I wanted to do was to make a few comments about your questions.First,I have never used a one bag system, I have always used a two part system. The one bag system means you have to replace it quite often and that means irritating the skin from the constant changes,and also a more costly approach I would imagine.Second: As far as I know, the stoma itself does not have nerve endings and so to feel burning is new to me. What I have found out is that the base plate that is attached to your body can move as a result of wear and moisture from the skin and so the hole in this appliance that is suppose to be just an eight of an inch larger than the stoma ,starts to gravitate towards the stoma and seems to cut into the stoma. At least that what has happened to me and it does hurt. The burning sensation would seem as a result of the output of the stoma is leaking onto the skin because the opening is to large.Third; I do not like to fly because of the **** TSA agents or what ever they are called. I will not elaborate, but point out they are just to invasive. You will not be able to carry scissors with you and you should precut enough appliance as you feel you will need. I would also think that when you get to your destination or before, you should find out if there are places were you can get supplies if needed.I wasn't wanting to go on and on but I got to tell you one funny way of expelling gas when you are in a crowed place. I think of when I am shopping. I find an isle in which no one is around and then Burp the bag and then get out of the isle.Who did that???. Anyhow, I hope this helps!A parting thought, Stress and anxiety is the biggest thing to overcome in that it is the wall that you have to break down for a better life.GOD bless, Sourdough, An Alaskan term---Not a mindset.
bob.hewson
Jan 30, 2013 9:02 am
Sourdough said, I do not like to fly because of the **** TSA agents or what ever they are called. I will not elaborate, but point out they are just to invasive.When you go to Manila airport you need at least 3 hours spare to ensure you can go through the many security checks. No one can get inside the front doors of the terminal without a current ticket and only during the check-in times, you are then subjected to the first check of all your bags, carry-on and check-in and you go through the first metal detector. There are about another three checks of yourself and your carry-on luggage before you can get to the boarding lounge, where everyone is given a frisk search before allowed inside.I blame only one lot of people for this, the terrorist that want to cause us harm either on the ground or in the air. The fact that civilized countries are required to carry bout these security checks is just the result of these people. Going through many security checks only helps to make me feel very secure and safe to travel.I am very happy for these people to check many times the other people I will be travelling with and therefore I have no problem with them checking me as many times. An apparently full bag would be a good place to hide many things and therefore if an ostomate seemed to be more subject to security checks, I find that a blessing as well.The only thing we want is a bit of discreetness in their searches and I have only found that to be the case in my experiences, others may have found differently.My cancer did not get me and now I rely on these people to do a very thorough job to ensure the terrorists don't get me either.God bless every security officer working hard to keep me and my family safe to travel.
Maree
Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm
I too have travelled great distances. Most trips were fine, however i found if i drank wine on the flight my pouch would undoubtably come off...(dont ask me why) Enjoy your travels!
Past Member
Feb 23, 2013 11:15 pm
Ragdoll, you have nothing to worry about when flying with a commercial airline. The aircraft are pressurised and air-conditioned. I have traveled the world with my wife (of 50 years this year) and have not had a problem with my bag. My only problems have been with my medications. I MUST declare my meds because the form says are you carrying any drugs Yes I am. THAT is where the trouble starts. I carry enough Hypodermic syringes for one each day to cover the trip plus a few spares. (Clexane anti coagulants) I have tablets too. If that isn't enough I have a pair of callipers but collapse one and put it my luggage. In the x-ray it looks like a gun. Wow if that doesn't stir them up. The security people often made me take my shoes off and that was a real problem because I wear orthotic splints on both legs. I have to have help to put them on. Then the hand wand finds the screws and rods in my back. Ahaa!!! what is under your shirt. Into the examination room. Are you traveling alone??? Where is your wife?? did you pack your own bag??? no I didn't my wife packed it for me. Do you know what is in it??? Of course I do for goodness sake. Sometimes I get a thank you for your time but in the main that is the process to which I am subjected. It does get wearisome after a while. Oh yes, I forgot to mention my two knee replacements, the magnetometer has a nervous breakdown when I go through it. All hell breaks loose after that.So, if you are as fit as a young lady should be you will not have any of this fun. 21?? have a great life darling lady,Doug
bob.hewson
Mar 02, 2013 3:44 am
After Adabar's comments, I feel I am without one problem in the world.My stoma, cancer, and major back problems are nothing compared to his problems.Thank God we are still alive to enjoy this life as much as possible.