DIY Ostomy Barrier Rings from Skin Barrier Sheets

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Jun 27, 2024 3:37 am

Wanted to share this little tip I got from an ostomy nurse. Did you know that you can use 4x4 skin barrier sheets to make your own barrier rings?

You can get 2 rings from each sheet by cutting them out yourself. I like to make mine the size of the pouch flange or just a little smaller.

Most pouch makers sell these. My favorites are Convatec Stomahesive and Hollister Hollyhesive.

IGGIE
Jun 27, 2024 2:41 pm

Is this just to save a dollar, or do you think they are better? Regards, IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Jun 27, 2024 10:51 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Or perhaps in answer to people who have reported some American insurance cartel companies not allowing for a 1:1 ratio between skin barrier and barrier ring? This could be helpful for those folks.

w30bob
Jun 29, 2024 2:59 am

Hi Hi,

Yup, I can see what you're saying working. Really, anything that adheres to both your skin and your barrier, that can be molded to fit tightly around your stoma, and doesn't dissolve instantly when it contacts output, can function as a 'barrier ring'. Bubblegum would probably work well too... but don't tell anyone I told you that... I have a reputation to uphold on here.

:O)

Mysterious Mose
Jun 29, 2024 8:47 pm
Reply to w30bob

🤣

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Emad
Jun 30, 2024 1:06 am

I tried that, but found that the Coloplast sheets are only sticky on one side after I got them. Different companies make their sheets and rings all a little different. I can't use the silicone rings or the Coloplast sheets, but the Coloplast Brava moldable rings work great.

Hisbiscus
Jul 02, 2024 1:56 am
Reply to IGGIE

Actually, it was when I had my big hernia before my hernia surgery. I was getting a lot of leaks. She had me cutting them from the 4x4 and sometimes would even have to put a slim ring on top as well.

I'm kind of sick of these sticky rings breaking apart right now and am thinking of using a Stomahesive 4x4 to cut some. Just came to my mind, but yeah, for people on a budget, this would help.

Hisbiscus
Jul 02, 2024 1:58 am
Reply to Emad

Yes, 4x4's are only sticky on the side by the skin. So your bag would be applied to the non-sticky part.

Hisbiscus
Jul 02, 2024 1:59 am
Reply to w30bob

Haha, I have lots of bubble gum here.

Hisbiscus
Jul 02, 2024 2:00 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Absolutely! They work pretty well. At least back when I used them, they did.