Waking and worrying about a leak, does it ever go away?

Replies
Views
Sophie96
Mar 13, 2013 11:26 am
Im still relatively new to having an ostomy, only had it since June! I still find myself waking up every day and the first thought that comes to my mind is have i had a leak? And those first few seconds of the day are always a panic untill i realize i havent (or have in some cases). I just want to know from those of you who have had thier ostomy longer, does that morning panic ever go away? Thanks

Mrs.A
Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm
Hi Sophie, Yes, I hardly ever question the security of how well my pouch worked. I guess it comes with time. A leak is a mess as we all know and no-one likes when it happens, but once you have found a pouch that works under normal daily life and routine your worry will lessen. Sure, it may happen again,but prepare for if it does by having the things you think you will need to get the job cleaned up as quickly and cleanly as possible all together and ready to go. Most of us females have an emergency kit for when we travel, so why not have an emergency kit put aside too for a leak in bed. Maybe you can be the one who post a blog about what you would put in this emergency supply. Have a great day.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Primeboy
Mar 14, 2013 3:11 am
This sense of panic will go away, Sophie, with time and experience. Somehow I manage semi-consciously to assess my bag size during the night when I change positions. Instinctively I will wake up when I feel the bag becoming enlarged and take action. Don't ask me to explain how this works. Perhaps it's a form of kinesthetic awareness. Things will surely sort out. Do not be afraid. PB
gutenberg
Mar 16, 2013 2:29 am
I have to agree with PB on this one, I can't remember how long it took, actually after a couple of leaks at night I started to automatically wake at whatever time my pouch tells me to get up and get er done. And the panic also took a break so hang in there Sophie it will all come to you and soon I hope, Ed
Sophie96
Mar 18, 2013 8:45 am
Thanks for all the advce, I do tend to wake up in the night when my bag gets full, like primeboy I can sort of tell whats it doing if im laying on my side or however x

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
moonshine
Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am
i used to have a major leak prob...i went to a wound clinic and we tried everything under the sun...i use adheasive spray, a rubber ring (gasket) and adhesive paste (caulk)...also make sure your bag is properly fit to your stoma...took me a few months to get it right..
gutenberg
Mar 19, 2013 8:37 pm
Yep, there's quite a learning curve especially when the sum total of my knowledge was I heard of a colostomy and when I got sick overnight and had a really fast 150 mile ambulance run, and was opened up from groin to thorax and ten days later woke up with this contraption nailed to my belly and from there we started our journey, learned a lot of new words, like when you have a blowout, I'm sure a lot of you had the same experiences, Ed
Past Member
Mar 21, 2013 6:14 am
Does the panic subside? Sure. Once you get used to the fact that leaks can occur at anytime, and develop a routine to address them and prevent them, the panic part will lessen.I've had my urostomy since 1966 and lived through the days of sub-standard (compared to what we have today) ostomy bags. My earlier bags were held in place with painted on rubber cement and tape. The plug was held in place with a rubber band. The plastic bags were cheap, and believe it or not, reusable. We simply washed them out and reattached them to the rubber flange.I cannot count how many times those various components failed during the day, while I was in school, or at the store. I remember one incident very vividly. In gym class one day, the little rubber band broke and the plug fell down my leg and onto the floor. Every other kid looked at the plug laying there, and then at my pant leg soaked in urine. Panic? Today things are so much better, but I do have some moments of panic. I do wake up every now and again in a wet bed. But it is part of who I am. I just have to make the proper adjustments when needed.PB hit on something in his response. I too wake up at the right time. I'm not sure why it is, but if my bag is full, I seem to awaken and then go empty it. Perhaps in time your body will develop this sense, but in the meantime, please do not panic or fear these things. As messy as they are, you are here and alive. Bless that and move past the rest.
Jillthemom78
Mar 26, 2013 7:11 pm
I had my surgury in oct of 2012. I have a hernia and my bag leaks 24 7 and I am only allotted 20 bags a month and they give me a hard time. I feel your panic I have it all night and day
verity
Mar 28, 2013 9:56 am
it is true a sixth sense eventually kicks in but I have found wearing support during the night stops the freedom of stoma mevement, and causes pancaking causing the pouch edges to moisten up and loosen hence leakage, so now sleep with pouch free. worth a try believe me
kims
Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm
It will never go away completely, but it will lessen. I promise.
Jillthemom78
Mar 28, 2013 7:03 pm
How do you not leak with no bags? If I am understanding correctly. Please any tips will help me. With a hernia and them saying surgury would be to risky. So I leak all the time it sucks.
potcake
Mar 30, 2013 10:44 pm
That sucks you have a hernia. My GI thought I had a hernia because of the bump and the pain and that it was near my stoma, but it was an abscess.I am a pro at leaks! funny though I have to bags on..that abscess removed, after the two drains were removed, it never closed, and now I have a fiscular!so two bags, two leaks, sucks..Anyway ive had my ileostomy for two years and had soooo many leaks for a lot of different reasons. First make sure your cutting the wafer hole just big enough. I cut mine two small because i didnt was the output to get on the skin. But that just made the stoma swell, and lift the wafer slightly. So make sure its big enoughsecond, find the right adhesive paste. there are the rings, but I like the paste in a tube because its quicker. Was I also use is this flextend from hollister. its like this sheet you cut for around the stoma for extra adhesive or for sensitive skin. I cut mine out to go over just the areas i know it leaks...to the left near my bellybutton, and above where a healed suture made a dent. you want the skin the same level!!! if you have scaring like i do it may cause uneven-ness. to make it even just use paste. i used to fill my bellybutton with paste to make it even with the skin.Third, dont eat a lot for dinner. if you eat like a burrito or a big meal in the evening, your likely are going to have to wake up in the middle of the night to empty the bag, or more...dont drink a lot of fluids right before bed too, tea, water. juice...it will all go through quickly.my savior though is the belt! I will wear it throughout the day two, clips on the end of the bag and basically pushes the stoma forward and the wafer back. just think..moving around, moves the wafer..the more activity the more you wear it out.Also try not to flush your bag with water. I did that at first because I thought the whole situation was just gross! its the stomach acids in the output that makes the adhesive swell. water wears it down.Also, dont have the wafer on more than four days. i wait till just 3 days. the longer you wear it the more the stomach acid work their way under the wafer. the adhesive only works for so long.thats my advise, works well for me :)
lindielou
Apr 08, 2013 2:30 am
Hi, I had my colostomy in July and my urostomy in October. My urostomy leaks a lot am so paranoid I check it all the time and have panic attacks if I think its leaking weather it is or not! I know the fear you speak of.
nehamashira
Apr 09, 2013 12:57 am
I have had my ileostomy for 13 years, and I still have 'surprises'. Despite two revisions. But, keep a sense of humour and an extra appliance (and zip-top bag) with you and you should be prepared for the unexpected ;-).
gordonc
Apr 17, 2013 9:33 am
Sophie I have a urostomy stoma, and go through spells of having leaks, they can be embarrasing (especially when your in front of a class of 13 years olds)Two years ago I was in Singapore, the humidity there was quite high and caused me to sweat a lot, I think there was a day when I had about three leaks, it got to the stage where I was worried I would run out of stoma bags,I then kind of discovered that the rings I was using to make baseplates more adhesive were the problem, so I stopped using them and hey presto I managed to get holiday over, still had leaks, but managed.Its all about confidence too,if you feel you have a leak just excuse yourself and go sort it.I doesn't always get easier but you learn to cope, Iv'e had my urostomy for 18 years and still find it can be a right pain to deal with.be luckyGordon