Our bodies do not define who we are

Replies
Views
cindy6319
Oct 18, 2013 1:11 pm
I came as close to death as was possible when my appendix exploded and my abdomen was filled with infection for 2 days before I arrived at the emergency room. By God's grace, I survived. There was 23 loved ones reciting the rosary for me in the visitors lounge. I attibute my survival to those prayers. I am now faced with the decision as to whether I should have a reversal done in order to free myself from the ileostomy bag. I am leaning towards not having the reversal. I have a good quality of life. I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I will not experience constipation, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, and the need to wear depends. Our bodies were not meant to last forever, and for the last 61 years, my body has served me faithfully. I am content with my quality of life and I am quite hesitant to take a chance on the risks of the surgery and the aftermath. I believe we are all spiritual beings experiencing life in a human body, and that someday, when we cross over to the next life, we will be given new bodies, eternal ones. So I live with gratitude in my heart because to me, each day is a precious gift that I might not have had, should my surgeon had not been so wonderful in saving my life. I do not experience low self esteem as some do, as my body does not define who I am. My purpose here is not over and I am focused on the remaining good I can do for others while I am still here. I am happy. Life will never be quite the same, but thats ok. :-)

Past Member
Oct 19, 2013 4:01 am
Hi cindy6319,Thank you for your post....so eloquently written. I feel very much the same way you do, and like you said Life will never be quite the same, but that's ok. Life will be different....dare I say better? I'm at peace with the choice I've made, to not have the reversal. :)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrs.A
Oct 23, 2013 3:19 am
Amen~ Great post Cindy! These bodies are but temporary, but our Spirit will live on. For me each passing day is a Blessing and brings new things. Life is never the same.
Monsieur Le President
Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm
Don't ever let your BAG define you.It's just a bit you'd rather do without, but....hey ho your alive, so just live.
Past Member
Oct 27, 2013 10:38 am
Same happened to me

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Ewesful
Dec 04, 2013 2:42 am
So pleased to see that there are others who really feel the love of life and the beauty of each day--- depression can not rear it's ugly menace if you you just remember to praise each thing - there is a purpose for everything and we never know when we can make a difference in another's life -- Merry wonderful awesome Christmas to all of you...