Emergency medical tecs not trained to deal with ostomies

Replies
Views
Yukon steve
Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm
I took a first aid resertification course 2 weekends ago and just received the books for medical first responder / paramedic course and nowhere in any of the books do I find anything about ostomy stomas. You would think that in a moter vehical accident and the location of the stoma and the seatbelt we would be trained to recignize and deal with this type of injury.
DH
Feb 29, 2012 12:40 am
You bring up a very interesting point. Paramedics should be educated and trained about dealing with emergency situations with people who have ostomies.I have wondered what would happen if I got in to some kind of accident and my stoma got injured.I thought about getting one of those bracelets that say I am an ostomate. But who knows if they will even read it. There are so many of us that have ostomies.You would think that there would be something in the books about how it should be dealt with in the event of a motor vehicle accident.

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Feb 29, 2012 6:54 pm
I often think about this  myselfi think wearing a bracelet is a good idea just incase. I would be interested if anyone outhere has any information on this subject regarding  training for paramedics,regarding ostomies.. ambies..
budd002
Mar 05, 2012 1:53 pm
I have a bracelet and it simply says "Crohn's Disease, Illiostomy and my blood type" I got it as a birthday gift from one of my friends. I think that is one of the first things any medical person look for a bracelet or necklace identifying any medical issues.

I have had many ambulance trips but they were called in I have never been in a emergency situation such as a car accident. This is a very interesting point and I think I'm going to see if I can get some answers form our First Aid instructor at work (I work at a training centre for electricians and we offer F.A courses) I'm also going to speak to my contacts at CCFC about it as well. I mean they are trained in dealing with most situations to at least stabilize you until they can get you to the hospital, would they know what to do with a wounded stoma??

I will repost if I can get any clear answers....
spook
Mar 05, 2012 8:01 pm
Unfortunately about 90% of the nurses are lost when you say "I have an Illi". Try going to a Urologist that puts the glove on when you go for yor yearly and says "oh thats right". I've even had a nurse tell me "she didn't know that they're were drainable pouches and how do you do it"

All you have to is make an Ostomy meeting and the members will educate you better than any ostomy nurse,or doctor.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Maybe things are different here in Sydney because I haven't experienced any lack of knowlege about my colostomy.  I am in and out of hospital with a worrying regularity. Three times in February this year.  All of my nurses knew what to do about my Stoma but then it wasn't damaged. Sometimes I feel concerned about the seat belt in my car, it crosses right over the top of the Stoma. I have a large leather "pad" that I cover the stoma with to protect it in the event of an accident but that is only in my car.

As for Paramedics, I see these people as ultra special. However, they are not surgeons. Their knowlege is covering a very wide range of problems but honestly we cannot expect them to know everything. I have the greatest respect for Paramedics they have always  been very good to me.

Ostomates are a minority group in reality but as time goes on I believe that our problems will become better known.

Doug
teacher
Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm
My husband is an EMT.  Our local rescue squad did not have information about ostomies until I had one.  He then made it a point to teach and train all new EMT's in my community about ostomies.  He definitely recommends wearing a bracelet or a necklace saying that you are an ostomate as they always look for that sort of thing.  When they strap you into a stretcher, they need to be aware of your stoma.
gutenberg
Mar 05, 2012 11:37 pm
I have thought about this many times, even while driving I'm always adjusting the seat belt as my stoma is right on my belt line and right under the seat belt. But I suppose if one were in an accident and the pouch got ripped off, or worse, they would know about it pretty quick, I'm sure the smell would be a good clue and hopefully if awake we could tell them exactly where its coming from. NO! NOT THAT HOLE!!!

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image