Had my first meeting with my stoma nurse :)

Replies
Views
laurachaps
Apr 10, 2014 8:13 pm
It went really well! Im currently wearing a fake stoma and bag to see what its like...had it on for six hours now and haven't noticed it once! I have this stuff to put in it to let me know how it feels when it is full so will do that tomorrow after I sleep with it. She said that my positive outlook will help me after the surgery which I am thankful for. I just want it to happen now- don't want to wait two whole months feeling the way I feel but nothing can be done about that I guess!!! She said that the recovery time is 3 weeks...I will be having a loop colostomy with key hole surgery if anyone has any experience of that?! xxxx

kayos
Apr 11, 2014 3:36 am
Hi Laura. It GREAT to hear you are being so positive.For me that was one of the key things towards my recovery,that and having total support from the stoma nurses and a loving husband. (Im now 6wks down the track with my colostomy don't regret for a moment)I hope all goes well for you :-)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrs.A
Apr 19, 2014 3:25 am
Hey Laura,Welcome to the site. That is nice that you get to kind of experience a stoma and pouch. It is an adjustment but when you are healed and found the right products for you it isn't so bad. I believe ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING!Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.
CBXer
Apr 21, 2014 3:47 pm
Hey Laura,Prior to my J-pouch surgery, I had my original ostomy site placed by my stoma nurse. It seemed like the right location, but ended up to close to my belt line. Sweat pants were the norm for comfort, but not practical for long term. The J-Pouch surgery did not work and I made the decision to go with a permanent end ileostomy. When my stoma nurse was prepping me for my stoma, I put on a pair of my favorite jeans and sat in a chair...then said to mark the stoma site. It was above my belt line and has been the most comfortable and practical location I could have imagined.Best of luck to you.
PatinPickering
Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm
Laura, keyhole is better than a couple of hundred stitches/staples (permanent colostomy). It's been over 20 years since my surgery and, given that it was cancer-related, I'm quite happy to see this face in the shaving mirror!! What ever you put up with at the start will be well worth it for the journey which follows ...

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Apr 23, 2014 8:31 am
Hey Laura,, It is so good to hear that you have got this positive outlook early; it will help you a TONNE! My initial surgery was done by keyhole (or in technical terms laproscopically) 8 days after the surgery I arrived at another hospital for critical illness and they never knew I had surgery just a week and a day ago prior because the scars were simply just bruises! another week or so later and those bruises had disappeared. Just a shame I had to have a second open surgery because my abdomen would be perfect right now. The recovery time is significantly reduced with keyhole too so we're looking for good things with you young lady. Please, please, please, keep us updated. I wish you all the best in surgery and recovery. And welcome to the team (-:
Past Member
May 06, 2014 1:53 pm
try this tip!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdHnwzSU8Cg