The surgery from hell

Replies
Views
domingo
Oct 02, 2014 3:26 am
Hello fellow ostomates , I went in to have my non funcitioning j-pouch removed on monday sept 22nd only to have my small intest shut down, I spent a week with ng tube in my gut sucking all floudis out of my gut , only to have them pump barium down the tube to to see if there was blockage so they x-ray my intestines , there trick work , but my advise is to any one thinking about get a j-pouch do not get a j-pouch . A leson learnd , I am out of the hospital and doing well.

julz
Oct 18, 2014 5:55 pm
i had a j-pouch put in on july 1990. it is my security blanket, i love it. wednesday i was told my pouch has a great deal of scare tissue and my doc suggests i have it removed and have an iliostomy. i'm devastated. HELP, is it really better to live with a bag on your stomach?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

domingo
Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm
Julz , an ileostomy is great it will take you awhile to get use to it , you have to be diligent in rembering to change it out every 3-4 days , you learn life is not much different with a pouch. Just please, keep a positive attitude about it , life is good is and great right now , I still do the same things that I did in the past.
tokalaska
Oct 25, 2014 2:34 am
A ileostomy is not that bad to have, I've had mine for 6 years and have learned some of the do's and don'ts with it.I normally change my bag on average every 12 to 16 days depending on what I do and how much I sweat etc.
Past Member
Oct 29, 2014 12:24 pm
I have had my Ileostomy 13 years I would have died without it. In my opinion as long as you are not too much overweight you will be fine with it. I was overweight due to use of steroids for years, this makes it very difficult to get a flange that will not fold over making it leak. If you are thin go for it.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Past Member
Nov 01, 2014 4:24 pm
Hi everybody. It is literally the surgery from hell. I was Better of with a tissue paper colon. Should of have done the surgery 15 years ago and haven't died. I would of waited till it actually perforates so at least i know i had no other option left.I understand people on here saying pls keep a positive attitude about it. I just cant. Feel like im going downhill. I used to be the guy that everybody wants to chat to and go out with .now im almost talking to myself in my head. Whats next schizophrenia?? bipolar?? anxiety?? I am scared to see a phycologist. Once again i was Better of with a damaged inflamed colon.. Pls if someone can provide me with any help.. Can't get that frm no one
Kim53
Nov 13, 2014 4:10 am
Hi Darious, I had Crohn's disease for 41 years and really had a hard time many years. This year I had a temporary colostomy October 1st and am still getting used to it. It's why I am on the site. I know from my nurse it takes at least six weeks to settle down. Then you need to have the right pouching system. It is hard but it gets better. It helps to have a very good surgeon. I will be happy to talk to you. I feel like you do sometimes, like I'm in my own head to much. I do take medication for anxiety and it does help. I started that when I was worried all the time about crapping my pants. When I first got Crohn's I was 20 years old and went down to 69 pounds and I wouldn't let them do surgery. I got a new doctor and got better, but I had to get a left colonectomy in 1995. I had a fistula and had to get a temporary colostomy to fix this after sic unsuccessful surgeries. I swore I would never get a bag but here I am. One nice thing I am not smelling like a sewer and I am not worried about what I eat or crapping myself so I guess there is an up side. I am sorry you are having such a hard time.
Lesley
Nov 25, 2014 12:58 am
Hi .....please try to just go with a good feeling that you can slowly get used to the big change in your life and try your hardest not to change anything in what You've always done don't let it getyourself in your own little world. I've beenthere and have done that !! Just keep yourself up and enjoy everyday !! Your here and stay the way you have always been