Moving on

Replies
Views
Ecoenergy
Jul 20, 2016 1:47 pm
Hi everyone, I joined this site a few years ago, but I have not logged in for a long time. Have to say I enjoyed the banter, and I hope everyone I used to chat to is doing ok. Its been nearly 4 years since my doctor decided to slice me apart and ripout my guts lol, not that gruesome, but true none the less he he.

For those who are new to stoma's and the pain, humiliation, lack of energy and having to deal with a bag attached to you all the time, I'm here to tell you life does move on. It pains me to say it, but how you move forward is down to you. Its so easy to feel sorry for yourself, and use your illness as an excuse or a copout. I know because I did it all. Oh don't get me wrong, I thought the complete opposite. Thought I was dealing with it admirably, nothing was gonna knock me, and it was just bad luck that did not allow me to move on.

Eventually( well in my case anyway) I began to realise that i was standing behind my stoma and using it as a barrier for everything. to be truthful there are few things I can do now that I was able to do before my surgery, and age is more a prohibitor there than anything else lol.

I will always be self concious of my stoma bag, but I have adapted how I dress and in truth most people will never anything about my bag. For me, my sanctuary is my daily shower. I know some do not change their bag every day, but I shower everyday without my bag, and those few minutes allow me to be as I was born, believe me thats important to me lol I almost feel human at those times lol.

My lifestyle has changed, I manage my energy to try and maximise my day as much as possible. Yes sometimes I get it wrong, but so what. I just start again, its all you can do, stoma or no stoma.

There are always people around to help you, they might not be in front of you, but look around, seek them out if you need help. Never, ever be afraid to aska question. nothing is too silly or too stupid. If you don't know or are not sure ASK!,

I'm no councillor but if nayone ever has a question, just ask, this site will let me know and I'll respond when I 'm able, you can never have too many friends.

John

Bill
Jul 21, 2016 5:26 am
Hello John.
Thanks for posting a great and inspiring story which tells it as it was and is.
It is so important for fellow ostomates to hear from people like you, who have lived through the more difficult times but have emerged as stronger, more capable individuals.
Sometimes, when people are at the beginning of this journey through some unwanted experiences it can seem daunting and never ending. Your story does indeed indicate that we can and do move on so hopefully it will act as that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for those who have just entered the dark end for the first time.
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Emra
Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm
This is a brilliant post - I am sure it will help many others. I loved the "standing behind my stoma" comment...and I agree with the shower...when I do a major shower (the whole works are off) I feel like the old me...no crinkling of plastic. All the best! Good health!
Janeann
Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm
So glad you mentioned the 'crinkling of plastic' it's the one thing I hate about the bags that have saved my life !!!! Have adapted and am thankful but I still hate that sound when I'm trying to be normal . Only thing !!
IHateColons
Aug 15, 2016 3:49 am
Glad to hear you're doing well, old friend!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play