volunteer

Replies
Views
ycats
Dec 22, 2016 2:59 am
I have a desire to spread the word....all of my ostomy nurses do not have an ostomy....how can you teach ostomy protocol without experience???? so, i contacted two of our local hospitals about teaching new ostomates how to deal.....im so hopin i can help...i needed it and it wasnt there....

HarleyDoll
Dec 22, 2016 7:03 am
I`ve had these same thoughts since I had my surgery. To help others. Not so much as to the pouch aspect (because we have good ostomy nurses here and they know what they are doing, they are specially trained), but more the emotional side of things and the `regular`nurses in the hospital and how one is treated post surgery. Like a leper almost. I felt very isolated and different than other patients. I noticed that the nurses would avoid me (and my bag). I didn`t know what I was doing either at the beginning but more than that I felt marginalized and isolated because of the KIND of surgery I had had. There were very few people other than myself that had an ostomy to deal with, none in fact. Doctors and nurses are supposed to be able to handle things like poop, but they don`t like to and will avoid it; and you. This is something that needs to be addressed not only for ostomates but for people with bowel diseases. I wish you well in volunteering, Heaven knows we need people to share and help. You are right. It wasn`t there. It`s all about the poop, and I find that pretty disheartening in a supposed modern world such as we have today. Think of the little kids who have bowel disease, my heart just aches for those poor kids.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ycats
Dec 22, 2016 12:36 pm
thanx harleydoll....so true regarding the post-surgical support....the docs and nurses DO NOT prep you for the emotional pain that comes with this....i was disheartened as well....i hope to shed some light on those who are not given a clue as to how to deal....how long have you been an ostomate?
HarleyDoll
Dec 22, 2016 5:50 pm
Mid February 2016 was my surgery, so just over 8 months.
almelia
Dec 27, 2016 5:57 pm
I am lucky - I was reluctant to have the ileostomy surgery - until the team at hospital (Newcastle upon tyne, UK) called me in and sat me down for an hour with one of their nurses who has had hers for 20 years. She was also my nurse immediately post-op and some of her tips on changing pouches still stick with me daily.
I have to say that there were no issues with other staff either - I woke through the night a couple of nights post op, and a nurse was draining my pouch into a bowl, hoping not to wake me, knowing that I had had problems the night before with pain and that uninterrupted sleep would help recovery.
A couple of months post op and I emailed the team at hospital to say I was having problems - one of the other nurses who has known me over a decade called me back. By the end of the conversation she told me very directly to go to my GP and request antidepressant medication and counselling (6 months on I have not had counselling - NHS priorities I guess - but I am certainly in a much better place now) - she recognised that I needed more than just practical support.
I am coming up to my first anniversary and while I still have practical issues they are slowly being resolved.
I can certainly say that having a nurse who explained what she carries in her handbag for emergencies, how she wears her pouch under a swimsuit and just how to clean and to place a pouch made a tremendous difference.

They are an awesome colo-rectal team!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
UOAA
Dec 27, 2016 7:54 pm
Many of our UOAA support groups need people who do visitor training this could be a good outlet. Thanks so much for giving back. At UOAA we need Advocacy help on the national level as well.

perhaps local for you:
http://www.ostomy.org/asg_pages_asg_006.html
caweekley
Dec 28, 2016 12:41 am
I Hope your hospital is better than ours in Texas. When our local UOAA grouptried to assist they wanted to run background checks & treat us as non paid employees subject to their employment rules. It got to be more & more demands when all we wanted to do was lend support to those that need to understand what it is to live with an ostomy for whatever the reason. It's very scared time and who better to help than people that live the life?

I understand HIPPA complicates the volunteer world but I would have loved to have had a contact with someone that had already gone through the surgery & day to day activities & challenges. Than a real live ostomate?

I applaud you for wanting to help others. We need to stick together &
CharK63
Dec 28, 2016 8:06 am
I considered making a you tube video because of my inverted stoma. Lol!
I thought not only is having to change the bag unusual but it seems my particular shape and dimensions are even more rare and maybe I could help people.
I have a 12 year old grandson who has his own addresss or whatever you call it. Once he put out a video of himself screaming for 5 minutes. And he has a number of subscribers bless his heart.
Anyway it turned out that my problems were such that the best alternative was a reversal so I've now had that done.
I recently learned that while I was out of it suffering from the toxicity of sepsis, my doctor had been working on making my stoma an "outie" during surgery but was unable to do so.
I'm certainly not home free. Altogether I've had 4 surgeries. The original emergency, one stoma correction that didn't take, the reversal, and a hernia repair.
In my 30s I had 2 caesarean operations and I have bad scar tissue buildup. I'm bleeding from the stoma site again and worried to death that if I require any more surgery it will cause me to have a permanent ostomy.
With my fears and tragic delivery of all my experiences I don't think I'd be of much help, even though I have offers out to folks who's loved ones are facing surgeries.
I don't think I've retained the most important memories that would be more valuable to someone scared. I wrote down a lot of my thoughts but when I find the notes they feel like I've just been whining.
Oh well. That is the way I seem to be built. A lot of ideas that rarely come to anything. Turns out that a lot of folks listen to me in an unstructured way and and feel better for it by way of unjudgemental conversation. Doesn't help society at large , just in my very small circle.
Angelicamarie
Dec 28, 2016 9:17 am
Ycats, that's an excellent idea, I always looked at you as courageous, you now no , why not share your experience. Good luck, and best wishes angelicamarie
Past Member
Oct 04, 2018 1:17 pm
could start with a blog, been thinking about it. I have been doing research on trauma, a stoma is a traumatic event for most people. Support groups and assistance are in short supply in this city.