Using a Dixie Cup to Cover Stoma While Showering

Replies
Views
yorkservice
Sep 02, 2024 1:33 pm

If you wear a 2-piece bag system, I discovered that I can remove the bag to shower and use a Dixie or Solo bathroom cup with some stoma paste (just a few dabs), and it fits perfectly onto my flange, covering my stoma. I use the Ostoform Flow Assist 2-piece system. Not even the towel knocked it off. No more wet bags.

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 1:48 pm

Great idea. I really don't mind a wet bag. Not an issue. What I'm thinking is removing everything to shower. Many shower naked - appliance-less. Whoa! Right? Exposing the alien to water. But your idea is a quickie for some. Not bad.

Thing is, the skin around the stoma needs that water. Being stuck on 24/7 with appliances for years creates dryness.

Can you imagine living in a wet suit that long? Same thing. I'm trying to get the nerve up to shower naked with a cup.

Have you seen these painter cups with a handle at Home Depot?

Showering naked while keeping a cup nearby entices me.

Your idea gave me several thoughts. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DavidK
Sep 02, 2024 1:54 pm

Interesting how people go to all this trouble that seems so unnecessary. Were you told by your ostomy nurse to cover up the stoma when showering, or did you read an instruction from the manufacturer saying you must not shower with the bag on?

When I first got my stoma 2 years ago, I was told by my ostomy nurse that all bags were designed to withstand getting wet and I could have a shower or go swimming with the bag on and that it would not adversely affect the bag's adhesive. In the last 2 years, I have done just that, and I have had hundreds of showers and gone swimming in pools and the ocean and have never had a leak or any issue with the bag. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 2:15 pm
Reply to DavidK

Riiiiight... I heard people use saran wrap... plastic wrapped around their tummy... useless. More trouble than it's worth. So I agree with you.

However, the skin around the stoma probably will improve by breathing freely with an appliance unattached. Getting the nerve up and a cup ready. Ha ha.

Fishsticks73
Sep 02, 2024 2:19 pm

I've had my urostomy since June 7, 2024, and I do a full appliance change twice a week. On Monday and Thursday, it's full-on naked shower day, and it feels amazing. The other days, I shower with the bag on. I've also been swimming and never had an issue. My NSWOC said doing this was all good. Most of the manufacturers (I use Hollister) even state that the bags can get wet.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Sep 02, 2024 2:24 pm
Reply to warrior

Am I to understand since being an ostomate you have never showered totally naked??? Is this right?

Warrior = brave or experienced... hmmmm seems to me you have at least one experience left - go naked or go home 🤣

Your stoma will thank you... jb

w30bob
Sep 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Bro was always very shy... can't you tell? But to be fair, for some ostomates, showering naked can be a challenge. It is for me because, although I can control when I have output in terms of food waste, I can't always control or predict when I have bile output. And nothing sucks more than taking a nice hot shower naked, switching the water to freezing cold when you're just about done, toweling off, and then having a bunch of bile squirt out and run down all over your wee-wee, down your leg, and puddle on the floor outside the shower. So yes, it does feel amazing to shower naked, but for some, it's risky. Got to remember that all ostomates are not the same, and the rules are different for each of us.

;O)

DavidK
Sep 02, 2024 3:27 pm
Reply to w30bob

Agreed w30bob, it's a bit of a gamble when stepping out of the lovely warm shower and not knowing whether or not the stoma will behave itself. This is how I manage that scenario: I have the towel within arm's reach of the shower, and once I turn off the water and before I step out, I do a quick dry of the stoma and abdomen area first and then use some kitchen paper to cover the stoma (the stoma is moist enough that the paper will stick to it and it will collect any rogue discharge), and then I can take my time while I dry the rest of myself. Fortunately, I haven't had any major mishaps.

Justbreathe
Sep 02, 2024 4:26 pm
Reply to DavidK

Yep, a toilet paper teepee usually does the trick (as previously suggested on this website quite some time ago). Also, early a.m. and my pooper trouper is very quiet until that cup of coffee has been enjoyed…jb

Justbreathe
Sep 02, 2024 4:29 pm
Reply to w30bob

Guess very shy… was a typo for very sly… jb

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 4:38 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Correct, dear... A mouth as a warrior. A pussy as a naked osty... never tried it, but... considering it since the skin around the stoma is dry.

(like virgin plays)

Justbreathe
Sep 02, 2024 7:56 pm
Reply to warrior

Sounds like it's time to clean up both… (🎶Shower the People🎶 plays) … good luck and enjoy! jb

AlexT
Sep 03, 2024 3:16 am

I’d rather deal with cleaning poop off myself than deal with cleaning poop up off that cup/flange/tape, etc when you take it off. 

IGGIE
Sep 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Reply to DavidK

G-day David, all you have to do is make this little thing, and just before you get out of the shower, put this on and you won't have an accident. It's part of a Hollister bag; cut it out and put a belt on it. Find a plastic cup that fits, and you're covered. Regards, IGGIE

Login to see image

Login to see image

DavidK
Sep 05, 2024 3:31 pm
Reply to IGGIE

G-Day IGGIE,

That's some impressive device you have rigged up there. It just seems to me to be an over-engineered product and totally unnecessary, when kitchen paper will more than suffice to do the job and, in my opinion, is also infinitely easier to clean and dispose of when the inevitable stool erupts from the stoma.

But hey-ho, if that's your thing, knock yourself out!

Past Member
Sep 05, 2024 4:05 pm
Reply to warrior

Oh dear, I had my ileostomy only one week ago. Since coming home, I've showered with the one-piece bag off! Maybe that's not okay??? I'll ask my lovely nurse. But so far, keeping a handy couple of dry kitchen towels and a new bag prepared has worked. It feels lovely, clean, and refreshing. I do have a walk-in shower and live alone, which of course makes a huge difference. Any misbehavings join the dirty water down the plug hole, which I know from checking outside pipes joins the toilet flush outlet. A good splash of Dettol and a wipe around the shower tray, and I feel confident. My biggest challenge, yet to come, will be getting in the pool and open water, activity curtailed for a bit longer than I'd hoped after yesterday's diagnosis of a parastomal hernia… all sent to try us, hey.

warrior
Sep 05, 2024 4:07 pm
Reply to DavidK

(Giggle) Hey ho!! I like that. Heyho neighbor! Gotta be careful though.

If the intended receiver is a female, she might think—and here's the chuckle—you're calling her a ho... American slang for whore. 🤣😂

I'm gonna test it out. Thanks.

A few hours later.....

I somewhat agree with your post and think having what Iggie suggested would be an aid, not overkill. Simply because if there is a lot of output when you've got a few paper towels stuck to the stoma, it ain't gonna help when both your hands are being used to dry your hair, for example.

Chrissy D
Sep 05, 2024 4:55 pm
Reply to DavidK

I too shower and do aqua aerobics with my bag, and it stays intact.

rebrur2
Sep 06, 2024 4:20 am

So far, I too take showers with a bag on. I would love to take some without the bag, but my ileostomy stoma is feisty and unpredictable. My stoma can be active even first thing in the morning, so I am afraid of the possible mess. I am also still slow with my bag application, so it seems like added steps/stress.

IGGIE
Sep 07, 2024 1:21 pm
Reply to DavidK

You will remember what you said on the day that "shit happens." Good luck with your little piece of paper. Regards, IGGIE

DavidK
Sep 07, 2024 5:41 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Ah, I see where you're going wrong now IGGIE, you've been using little pieces of paper, perhaps you'll have more joy using kitchen paper, which some people call paper towel. Hope that helps, have a nice day!

yorkservice
Sep 07, 2024 11:35 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Yes, I have showered "naked," but my output is constant... Tired of cleaning the shower.

yorkservice
Sep 07, 2024 11:35 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Yes, I have showered "naked," but my output is constant... Tired of cleaning the shower.

yorkservice
Sep 07, 2024 11:38 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I like it. Genius!

yorkservice
Sep 07, 2024 11:38 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I like it. Genius!

warrior
Sep 08, 2024 1:47 am

Must be... an echo in here... in here... in here... in... 🤣😂😅