Low Output and High Activity with New Loop Ileostomy

Replies
Views
CJT
Jun 09, 2023 1:59 pm

Hey, very new loop ileostomy installed and I'm having a few problems adjusting. My small bowel was in paralysis for around 3 weeks following surgery before I could start eating again. Recently introduced soft foods and all was going well, output was fairly regular after meals and okay consistency. Suddenly it has changed, output is next to nothing all day but very active sounds and gurgling coming. It seems only at night when I'm asleep and in one position does the stoma flow.
Can anyone relate?

Hisbiscus
Jun 10, 2023 5:58 am

I can't relate, but I did have ileus with my surgery a few years ago. I would go to your colorectal surgeon or the ER if you're not having any output at all. They may have to do a CT scan on you to see what's going on. It does seem strange that it's only at night that you get some.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Jun 15, 2023 2:57 pm

It could be you're eating too late in the day and it's pushing it out at night. Change your time for eating. I find a good meal at 12 p.m. and only a sandwich in the afternoon, but nothing after 7 p.m. Regards, IGGIE