Stomas Can Be a Lifesaver for Crohn's Patients!

Replies
Views
Rhian
Apr 16, 2010 9:18 pm
Sometimes...like last night I'm relieved I have my 'mate' Henry, out of the blue for no apparent reason, my output turned to water yet again, I'm taking strong Crohn's meds which is meant to control it, so it's so frustrating ... is this 'normal' for Crohn's? I'm already on the lowest fibre diet you can imagine, and eat NOTHING that irritates my bowel, but WHAM here it goes again!!! Henry you're my best friend sometimes who NEVER leaves my side!!

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

gutenberg
Apr 16, 2010 9:56 pm
I can go for up to a week and my pouch will fill with what seems just like water, even taking Immodium. And I've never had Crones, Colitis or any bowel problems, but three or four times a day I balloon up and have to be really careful emptying because of splash. I never (ALMOST) curse my stoma, just the shithead of a doctor who did this to me. I can't give my stoma a name because I try to forget that doctor as best I can.

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Jax
Apr 17, 2010 10:31 am
Rhian

Yes this can happen and does. Eat things like a banana (just 1) or jelly, custard or foods like this, it will thicken the output. It usually happens about every fortnight for me. I asked the doctor about it and they said it is an Ileostomy and will do this.

Jax
Mitzie
Apr 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Why on earth did the doc give you a stoma if you weren't diseased?  (To personal?)  I have an ileostomy and use Lomotil (prescription) first thing in the morning and also a GasX soft gel pill.  In an hour I'm all set; sometimes in the afternoon I have to take another Lomotil (you can take 3X da if necessary)  My diet is restricted to very little fiber but juicing is OK.  Yes, we take life as it comes, do we have a good option?

Login to see image

gutenberg
Apr 17, 2010 3:21 pm
Well Mitzie I had an operation for an aneurysm and during the process the doc screwed up and a month later my colon was dead, snip, snip, goodbye colon hello ileostomy, simple, and I didn't even curse once.

Login to see image

Ed

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
cee
Apr 18, 2010 1:59 am
Mitzie,

By the by, in the day (pre-ostomy)  I routinely took, by doctor's orders 4 Lomotil 3 times a day plus Kaopectate tablets plus whatever they had me on to stop the diarhhea.  It wasn't a problem and no, didn't help much.

cee
weewee
Apr 18, 2010 6:48 am
hi all

i eat grill cheese sandwhiches  creamy peanut butter sandswiches marshmellows is supose to help also i am a colostomy not an ilyostomy hirshsprung is what got me i am a permanent poucher also and my out put is watery most of the time espically if i drink tea or coffee my out put is water instantly but dam i like the taste so i deal with it when i drink that stuff
beatrice
Apr 18, 2010 6:34 pm
I'm not doing any fibre to speak of. My output is usually watery ... and I actually feel better when it is. When I get thick pastey, I feel headachy, sluggish. When everything is moving thru quite fast I actually feel well. Strange.

Banana, rice, mashed potato, cheesies, marshmallows are good binders. Want to loosen things up ... coffee!
Texas Girl
Apr 19, 2010 2:19 am
okay WeeWee, I also have colostomy not the other.  And I sometimes have water like come out.  I just thought it came with the territory. haha  It really don't bother me either i just go throw it away and get another one.  Life goes on. Huh?
Tiggy
Apr 22, 2010 5:54 pm
My husband has an ileostomy so this might not even apply but I figured I'd mention that in order to thicken his stool a bit, he'll eat a banana every day. Apparently the banana helps to make the consistency more like toothpaste rather than water.
budd002
Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am
When I find my output is like water I go on the B.R.A.T. diet for a day...B=Banana R=Rice A=Applesauce T=Toast Seems to work within the day for me. And I keep a stash of marshmallows beside my bed to snack on as well as some in my desk at work.