Need Help with Persistent Liquid Output

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Jun 21, 2023 11:43 pm

For a while, I was doing good with thick output but the last week or two, I've had nothing but liquid output. It is starting to frustrate me. I have tried everything I know what to do, Imodium, marshmallows, and what used to work really well, pumpkin. Does anyone know any other helpful trick?

Lee

TerryLT
Jun 22, 2023 8:03 pm

Peanut butter does it for me!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
Jun 22, 2023 9:53 pm

Loose stools can occur with ileostomies. If you are filling up your bag frequently with very watery stools, you need to see your doctor. I assume you don't have Crohn's?

First, think of dietary causes. Milk products and a variety of colas can cause loose stools. I was told to consume pasta to firm up my output early on. Are there any medications or vitamins that could cause loose stools? When all of the easy things are ruled out, then infectious causes need to be considered such as CMV, C Diff, others but your doctor will need to do testing for detection of these.

Axl
Jun 23, 2023 5:58 am

Hi Lee

Mine is almost usually loose and every now and then it thickens up hugely for no apparent reason, then at other times it's in between and no idea why (ileostomy)

Sometimes too loose can cause leaks with some people, but if it's not bothering you don't worry about. I find loose sort of flushes the bag almost perfectly clean instead of being otherwise difficult to empty. A bright side to the story, huh?

But if you have concerns, go see the doc, but you don't sound too different from others.

infinitycastle52777
Jun 24, 2023 7:52 pm
Reply to Axl

I usually have output that is kind of melted ice cream consistency. It is just that lately it's been more like water or tea. Yesterday, I got a shock when my end of the day output was only 450cc (compared to the usual 1,500 to 1,800). I think "Marvin" (my stoma) was sleeping. He was just having a casual Friday, I think.

Lee

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
RobN
Aug 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi Lee,

My ileostomy is 8 months old now, and output is still inconsistent. In the beginning, the thickening foods they recommend, such as pasta and bread, worked, but nowadays, not so effective unless that's all you eat. The supplements they recommend didn't work for me. I have found psyllium works best. Just add a spoonful to cereal, soups, yogurt, ice cream, etc. Try to have it with or after each meal for consistent thick output. Also good at lowering cholesterol.