What I've Learned

Replies
Views
PJT
Jun 03, 2011 10:36 pm
Back in the early 1980's when I was a new ostomate I didn't have the benefit of the internet and Meet an Ostomate to learn and share ideas and concerns. But we did have a small group who met in Manhattan occasionally and I remember meeting a man who told me that he had his ileostomy for 30 years. I was amazed not only that he had it that long, but that he was still around to talk about it. I had no idea you could live that long with such a thing. Who knew? It's now 32 years later and, much to my surprise and delight, I'm still here! I've learned a lot by trial and error and more recently from the wonderful people on this site. Here's a list of some of the things I've learned. Hopefully you will find some of these ideas helpful and perhaps you can add a few of your own.

1)  First and foremost, if you eat like a horse you sh** like a horse!

2)  Keep an extra clip in your wallet or pocketbook in case you lose yours or it breaks. In an  emergency, a binder clip that you use to hold papers together will work just as well.

3)  Restaurants ususally don't like you to use their bathrooms unless you're eating there. I've found that hotel lobbies and bookstores are usually a good place to find a clean bathroom in NYC.

4)  It's your scheduled day to change your appliance but you're a little tired or just not in the mood tho change it today. "I can get another day out of it. I'll change it tomorrow," you say to yourself. Not a good idea. In my experience I usually regret that choice.

5)  Make sure not to let your supplies run too low because you can't always count on a quick delivery or your supplier may not have everything in stock. Also, double check your delivery when it arrives. 1 3/4 " flanges + 2" pouches = Big Problem.

6)  Lighting a match or two and then blowing it out right away is a pretty effective and easy way to cover the odor after you've emptied your appliance when you're out. At home, a scented candle in the bathroom works great.

7)  It's 3:30 in the morning and you think you might have to go to the bathroom to empty your appliance. My advice is to just get up and do it and don't think about it. If you start trying to evaluate whether or not you can make it until morning you'll never get back to sleep. I also keep a night light in the bathroom so I don't have to turn on the really bright overhead lights.

Login to see image

Unless you want the walls of your bathroom to look like a Jackson Pollock painting, never, under any circmstances, attempt to change your appliance immediately after drinking two cups of coffee and eating a slice of cheesecake.

9)  If you think you might be getting some blockage or are already blocked, a few gulps of mineral oil may help the blockage slide through. Fortunately, I can't remember the last time I became blocked, knock wood. (You'll have to take my word on this. I'm knocking a piece of wood as I type this).

10) I think that after blockage, the next worst problem we might have to deal with is a stomach virus. It's happened to me a few times and the fluids just poured out of my body and into my appliance like an open faucet. It's important to replenish fluids and electrolytes and my favorite drink for this is Gatorade. Also, my brother who is a physician recommended some easy to digest foods that will help to thicken the output once you're ready to eat again. He calls it the BRAT Diet which makes it easy to remember...bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. The applesauce should be plain with no cinnamon or sugar.

11) No, I'm not dying from internal bleeding. That's just the glass of Hawaiian Punch  I drank with my lunch two hours ago which is now filling up my appliance with red liquid and scaring the hell out of me. I don't know if Hawaiian Punch is an international drink, but it's popular here in the U.S. It's a bright red fruit drink that seems to come out the same color it went in.

12) I don't use a belt, but I keep one in my desk drawer and it's proven to be helpful more than once, particularly on hot, humid days when my appliance became unexpectedly loose. It will hold the appliance well enough to get home safely to change it.

13) When it comes to having sex with a new partner (as I recall - I'm married now (LOL)) you will probably make a bigger deal about it than your partner. Confidence, a positve attitude and a sense of humor go a long way.

14) And finally, always remember that we don't have our ostomies because we chose it. It was (definitely) not elective surgery, but it did save our lives. Rather than sit there and say, "Why me?," we should say, "Thank you for another chance," and live our lives to the fullest. It's not how many times you get knocked down that's important. It's how many times you get up.
austen
Jun 04, 2011 1:09 am
Cheers for the advice PJT, still laughing at number 1, couldnt figure out why i was putting up weight! ha ha
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jun 04, 2011 4:27 am
great read....funny too, thanks!
ok girl
Jun 04, 2011 3:35 pm
I too used to sit and boo-hoo untill I found this sight and learned so very much and saw that I was just a drip in the bucket and really did not have anything to wallow about.
PJT
Jun 05, 2011 1:32 am
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope it was not only helpful, but that it made you laugh as well. I forgot to include one item however, and that his how I've learned to appreciate the little things in life. A nice day, a child's laugh, home made tomato sauce and pasta on Sunday. These are the little things that truly make me happy and which I will never tire of.

Paul

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
bklyn girl
Jun 05, 2011 4:37 pm
thank you so much! loved it!
Randomum
Jun 05, 2011 5:04 pm
Interesting read PJT.

Very informative and very funny...... point number 11 reminded me of when I eat beetroot!

Tastes really nice but is pretty scarey when it emerges out the other end

Login to see image

car1951
Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Login to see image

Bless you--you speak the truths we always try to speak when we come across a newbie. This was like loseing a leg or a breast--it was'nt something we elected to do to ourselves and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  I'm alive and thats' a wonder I really appreciate.  I'm in considerably less pain than I was before the ostomies and medication does keep it under control.  I was housebound for close to two years and I'm not now.  The main things I tell those dealing with new ostomies is it does get better and keep it dry.

Login to see image

gran pa jim
Jun 06, 2011 12:18 am
i have not used a bag with a clamp in the past 5 yrs . they make great bags now that are velco and work great I walk 30 mi per wk and lift weights 3 vdaus a wk and have never had one fail me yet i hav e used convectec and now use sensura 2 piece by coloplast botrh co make very good bagg in my opion coloplast works best for me
gran pa jim
Jun 06, 2011 12:47 am
oh before moving to stockton ca i lived in man nyc for 10 years did not have a ostomy at that time but i have one now and travel to new york for pizza bagels and to see my yanks. for those tavvling to neyw york in the times square area  following places have clean rest rooms times sq tourist information booth broadway 45 st close to the old virgan record store and macdonalds . port of authory bus terminal this one suprised me very clean bur use handicab stall for more room also  macy dept store on 34 st very clean use bigger stall. i hope this helps people travling to the greasest city in the world if not for my 4 beatufil gran children in stockton I would still be living there. one closing thought there is a company called ostomysecrets . com the make wonderful prod I use there ostomy body rap it is a wrap with a kangaroo type of pouch in can be worn over or under your brief or panties in holds your pouch in  place makes it very stable wears like a girdle I wear mine over my bries my bag has no contact with my skin keeps my skin and pouch dry. with all the bad products being sold this one stands out as one of the good ones.as far as ordor control do not buy those exp prod i Am told baking soda dil with h2o or a little mouth wash works jusr as well although i Have not tried either as my stuff does not smell as nad as my 2 yr old gran daughter and one year old gran son neither of which seem to be bothered by there ordor/ God bless everone
Immarsh
Jun 06, 2011 1:15 am
Hi Paul,

This was a great post.  I have my ostomy for 47 years, and still found this helpful and amusing.   I never knew about the mineral oil, until I heard about it on this site.  Live and learn....and laugh as well.  

Marsha
Lala
Jun 06, 2011 1:35 am
Wow, loved the list. I really enjoyed the part about a second chance. Been having a why me day and it was just what I needed to read.
Poohgirl44
Jun 06, 2011 1:50 am
Thanks PJT.  That was a good read!  I also have been having some why me? time this weekend.  I needed that reminder!
Lalu
Jun 06, 2011 6:18 am
PJT -

Thank you.  Loved the Jackson Pollock reference.  It reminded me of my newbie days of NEVER leaving the bathroom without having to clean up some mess somewhere.  Even now, with Walter the Wenis just passing his second birthday (no party), it's often not until the morning that I see what has to be cleaned after shlepping to the bathroom in my sleep a couple of times.  At least these days the mess doesn't get beyond the toilet (usually).

Login to see image

I agree it's so important to remember that what many of us think of as one of the most traumatic thing that ever happened to us was the thing that saved our lives.  Having had my share of battles, as we all have, I learned a long time ago that the answer to "Why me?" is "Why not me?"

Thank you all for being here.

Laurie
KennyT
Jun 06, 2011 6:57 am
Wonderful post. Take care P.
Carolw
Jun 09, 2011 8:38 am
Thank you so much,lots of tips I know will help me,take care xxx