Massage

Replies
Views
Met422
May 18, 2024 6:45 am

Hi all,

I recently messed up my shoulders cutting down a tree. It seems to not be healing, but I am way out of my league when seeking a massage. How do you broach the subject of having an ostomy with a massage therapist?

Axl
May 18, 2024 7:14 am

Why is this an issue ... Just tell them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
May 18, 2024 11:45 am
Reply to Axl

Exactly, why should this be an issue? There is another thread out here on this topic.

See a chiropractor if you can.

Having a stoma would just be an adjustment thing.

Obviously, you can't lay on your stomach (without support). But they adjust you sitting upright.

Also, you will need heat or ice packs. That is in a sitting position.

No worries. You tell them about your front butt. They will be accommodating.

Axl
May 18, 2024 12:50 pm
Reply to warrior

I go to the chiro monthly, lie on my stomach with no problem. I go at a time of day that suits my daily cycle and empty before, easily.

Ben38
May 18, 2024 2:43 pm

Just say I have an ostomy. If they don't know what one is, walk back out the door, as it shows they're not good at their job.

It's not a problem if you want to tell them or not; it's your choice. Lying on your stomach won't do your stoma any harm.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Mysterious Mose
May 18, 2024 5:33 pm

Ditto what everyone else said. Just empty your bag beforehand and be upfront about your little pal. Frankly, the dentist is more problematic.

AlexT
May 18, 2024 6:47 pm

If you need your shoulder rubbed, why would their hands be around your waist? 😯🤔😁

warrior
May 19, 2024 7:12 am

(A few days later.) The comment about lying on your stomach to see a chiropractor for an adjustment came from a few "aggressive" chiropractors I have used. In fact, they hurt me. Fudge that. Bye bye. The nicer, helpful ones say they can adjust me while sitting or on the side. Found a decent guy who gets it. Local too. No co-pay. Boom!

Axl
May 22, 2024 8:48 am
Reply to warrior

My chiro adjusts my carcass while I'm lying on my stomach and also while seated, using different techniques and angles of attack for different elements of my back.

warrior
May 22, 2024 8:54 am
Reply to Axl

Sounds like you got a good guy there, Axl.

Axl
May 22, 2024 12:29 pm
Reply to warrior

It's a woman actually ... 😂

Shawn57
Jun 01, 2024 11:00 pm
Reply to Axl

Agree, just tell them; they should be professionally trained enough to understand. But if for some reason they don't understand, you might have to explain a little more so that your bag doesn't create a mess. (I actually had a related issue when I told a yoga instructor during a class I was at (guest with my brother, I was new there) to NOT TOUCH ME! (which they apparently think they have to do to help you get to a pose), and she did anyway and nearly caused a "problem," so I got up disgusted and left the room. I should have asked for a refund. So the moral of the story is, make sure they understand!)