Massage with a Colostomy - Tips and Recommendations?

Replies
Views
Grambo
May 21, 2024 8:31 pm

Has anyone had a massage with a colostomy? My husband and I enjoy going to golf resorts with friends. The guys play golf and we ladies get the spa treatment, including a massage. We will be going for the first time since my surgery next month. I would normally be on my stomach for getting the back massage. I don't want to squish anything. Any recommendations, ideas?

Mysterious Mose
May 21, 2024 8:36 pm

Tell the masseuse about your ostomy and empty your bag before getting on the table. That should be it. Empty bags do not squish. :-)

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
May 21, 2024 8:58 pm

Ask for a pillow to put under your stomach or a folded-up towel.

whackjob74
May 21, 2024 10:21 pm

Hi Grambo,

I have an ileostomy and get massages weekly from my massage therapist. No issues at all. I get a pillow placed under my hips so that the stoma is just off the pillow and that takes the pressure off the area as I have a huge hernia as well. As mentioned, just empty before you start and enjoy!

Riva
May 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Enjoy the massage. Pillow, empty, let them know. Have a great, relaxing, fun time.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Doe1mama
May 26, 2024 1:15 pm

I agree that you need to tell them. They've probably run into it before. My husband gets massages here at the retirement community where we live. Due to a stroke and an ileostomy, he's opted to stay on his back. He relaxes so much it's like he's in another place. She actually has to awaken him.

rlevineia
May 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Grambo, yes! One year post-op ileostomy, and I returned to my Shiatsu masseuse. He put a pad above and below my ostomy and let the pouch sit in between. Be sure to empty it beforehand.