4 Months Post-Reversal - A Journey of Healing and Gratitude

Replies
Views
DexieB
Jun 05, 2024 8:56 pm

Hello. A few others have posted their recent reversal updates, so I thought I would take a minute to do so as well since I am now 4 months post-reversal!

I was a bit emotional last week because just before Memorial weekend last year, my colon was perforated during a biopsy after a cancer diagnosis, and I spent almost a month in the hospital fighting for my life. I came home with a colostomy - and had a long road to healing - but the good part is I came home. I guess you never know how strong you can be until you have no choice!

It chokes me up when I think about all the people who cared for me. Of course, my family, friends, and neighbors, and all the wonderful hospital staff - but the kindness of strangers was unbelievable. People who I'd never even met heard what happened and made meals for my family, or sent flowers and cards to cheer me. I will never forget the ultrasound tech who was trying to assist three different doctors in finding a viable vein somewhere on my bruised arms - horrible pain. He came back a few minutes later and asked if he could pray for me (of course I said yes), and held my hand while doing so. I didn't even know his name, but he brought me so much comfort in that moment. Just as you all have...even though I have never met you, I feel as if I know you. Thanks for being there for me whenever I need it!

Onto the reversal...thankfully, I really have nothing but good things to report. My bowel habits went quickly back on track - no issues there. A little issue with eating fiber at first - made my bottom sore at times, but there's medicine for that. I had the same 'surgery pain' as before, but it got better each day. The only complication thus far, and I have talked about this in other posts, is the new hernia I developed shortly after surgery due to a cold I had. I see the hernia surgeon on June 20 to discuss my options.

I know I could still get complications - but I'm just taking it day by day and hoping for the best. Thank you all for being there in my darkest hours, cheering me on and cheering me up. You are the best group of people anyone could hope for!

Morning glory
Jun 05, 2024 9:25 pm

Thanks, DexieB. You have been an encouragement to so many people. Your input has been so helpful. The world is still full of good people.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

MoeMoe
Jun 05, 2024 10:42 pm

DexieB, thank you for posting your update. I agree with everything you said, and my anniversary date of my perforated colon is also at Memorial Weekend. I can totally relate to being emotional. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, but here you are... strong, bold, and brave! It's definitely a humbling experience and challenges faith, resilience, and strength. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad you are feeling better and praying for the very best for you! Cheers to you, beautiful friend!

Kas
Jun 05, 2024 11:13 pm

I am so happy you're doing well!

Amazing how much you've overcome in just a year!

AlexT
Jun 05, 2024 11:55 pm

Glad everything is coming out, I mean went, well for you. 😁 Nurses are the backbone of the health system; without them, the health system would be a disaster.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
DexieB
Jun 06, 2024 12:01 am
Reply to AlexT

Yes, they are truly Earth Angels. 😇

Newhere
Jun 06, 2024 12:49 am

DexieB, I am happy for you that all is well. Good luck with the hernia, but really, after what you have been through, it will be a walk in the park. Take care.

Itsme58
Jun 06, 2024 1:55 am

All of us are special, especially when we're in our group because only we know what happens to us, how we feel, and by having some similarities, we help each other. We explain what happened, knowing that not everyone is the same.

I'm so happy for you and your reversal. Hopefully, every day everything will become easier and easier.

Be blessed and keep that "one day at a time" attitude. Head up, girl, happy for you. May all go well. Linda

Beachboy
Jun 06, 2024 2:30 am

Glad to hear, Dexie!

I had a nurse ask if she could pray for me. I agreed that would be great.

Well... She belatedly exclaimed, "Lord, cast these demons from Brother Dan!" Whoa... I nearly jumped out of the bed. Then she laid hands on me and continued on with the Lord's Prayer. She was so cool. And just one of the amazing nurses and technicians who cared for me.

Every day is a holiday.

Axl
Jun 06, 2024 7:47 am

And one for you too, Dex, glad to hear you are thriving.

Login to see image

ron in mich
Jun 06, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi Dexie, thanks for the good news. It's been raining and dreary here for the last two days, so a good positive story helps.

Differentclass
Jun 06, 2024 7:39 pm

That is wonderful to hear, thank you so much for keeping us updated on your recovery. You are a strong woman 💪 and it helps enormously to hear the good outcomes. I am still awaiting (impatiently and nervously) a date for my reversal. Here in the UK, there are long waiting lists for elective surgery, but I'm hoping it will be soon. Very best wishes to you, and I hope all goes well when you see your surgeon about the hernia, which, as someone else said, should be a walk in the park after all you have been through!

Dogen's bag
Jun 10, 2024 5:42 pm

Really really happy for you! I am so glad it went well and continues to go well.

All the very best to you and your support team!