Accidentally Swallowed Gum with an Ileostomy - Risks?

Replies
Views
freedancer
Jan 11, 2019 12:38 am

This is probably a dumb question but I accidentally swallowed a piece of gum.  Can this cause a blockage of my ileostomy??  I do not chew gum much and just forgot and swallowed it.

Two bags
Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

Hi, not a dumb question at all. I have an ileostomy and get blockages from certain foods; however, I have never swallowed a piece of gum. I have thought about it happening to me, and yes, I would be concerned, depending on the size of the piece of gum. I would imagine gum does not break down from digestive juices. I can't say for sure, as it has not happened to me. Please let us know what happened; it's an interesting question.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jan 11, 2019 6:57 am

Yes! please let us know the outcome (or output). I have had bits of solid food that have remained intact and passed through without any problem so, I would presume that gum would do the same.

As two bags says - an interesting question!

Best wishes

Bill 

Xerxes
Jan 12, 2019 3:43 am

Assuming that you swallowed a normal size piece you should have no problem If, on the other hand, you swallowed an over-size wad then you might run into trouble.

Xerxes

britathrt60
Jan 17, 2019 5:37 am

I think a normal size piece of gum will be ok....good luck.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play