Thought I'd say hi

Replies
Views
Brogie
May 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi.

i  had an ileo when i was 15 -24 then that got changed into an ACE. So i know what its like growing up with a stoma and hope to find out what its like beign old with one too
Login to see image
 (unless some new technology/prodcedure/medicine emerges)

I have never spoken to other people with stoma before, and after 15 years of having one, thaught maybe it would be a good idea.becuase well, unless you have one, you cant really understand what its like. I might need to pick the brains of people older than me and how they managed when they were my age, likewise if there are any youths here, i had my ileo when i was at school/college/uni, starting 1st job. so i can give you some advice or an ear for any questions. Or if any one just wants to chat about other stuff and forget about their stomas and problems.

cheers

Brogie

Mrs.A
May 09, 2015 12:03 am

Well Brogie,

When is it best to catch up with you in chat? Seems during the week around 5 or 6 pm EST is good, and at 11pm as well. But who knows maybe next time your here you could just pop into the chatroom and you will get to talk with some of the folks at that time.

However, I have notice that folks forget to hide the chat if they don't plan on chatting so it looks like they are in the chat but they're not
Login to see image
. I've only had my stoma for the past 10 years so I have no idea what it must of been like growing up with one. A blog might be interesting, if you felt the urge, just sayin'.

Have a good weekend~

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

carolmcq
May 13, 2015 1:39 am

brogie what was it like when you have that surgery.  What is an ACE?

Brogie
May 14, 2015 8:53 am

To create an ACE stoma, the surgeon will cut off the appendix, still with its blood supply, and connect one end to the large bowel and the other end to the wall of the abdomen at the navel or lower down below the level of most underwear. This small opening or stoma is used to pass a tube called a catheter into the bowel so that fluid can be introduced to flush faeces out through the anus. This is called an ACE washout. For people who have previously had their appendix removed, there are other ways of making an ACE stoma. For example, a tiny segment of small bowel may be used.