Healing Time for Skin Blisters Post-Ostomy Surgery?

Replies
Views
sunvox
Jun 07, 2024 1:17 pm

So, last week I had my surgery and am now living with an ileostomy. Unfortunately, in addition to having to adjust to the normal learning curve associated with wearing and changing an ostomy bag, my initial bag I received in the hospital (Hollister 2 piece) caused 5 blisters to appear on day 4. One of the surgeon's PAs popped and cleaned them, and the WOC nurse covered them with a cloth designed to promote healing and switched me to Coloplast. The scabs all sit on the outer limits of the barrier ring.

My question is: Has anyone else dealt with blisters on the skin and how long did it take to heal?

I haven't been able to schedule home nursing care yet, so obviously I'll keep trying there as well.

Riva
Jun 07, 2024 2:09 pm

Hi there and welcome. Education is key on this new journey of yours. I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It's our national organization. Also, Ostomy101.com. You will learn about foods, blockages, skin care, clothing, ostomy products, travel, activities, and a whole host of other tricks of the trade. You might also want to check out a local support group near you. Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours and wearing a pouch does not and will not define who you are. There are solutions. We're here for you. Best of luck.

(Blisters - there are many powders from various suppliers that you can request samples from. COLOPLAST number 190075 is one of them.)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DexieB
Jun 07, 2024 2:20 pm

Hi there - this happened to me in the hospital after my emergency colostomy surgery. The wound nurses at my hospital were extremely busy and also did not work on the weekends. I had a leak, and no one was available to help me until several days later. The nurses/staff did not know how to handle an ostomy aside from draining the bag - I had no supplies and wouldn't have known how to use them if I did. When the wound nurse finally did see me, I had a huge blister that she popped and cleaned, covered with some kind of thin foam she cut to cover the blistered area, and then covered that with my appliance.

It did not take long at all for it to heal - if I remember correctly, it looked much better within a week or so.

Prayers for your continued healing!

Cindylouwho62!
Jun 07, 2024 2:46 pm

I too had issues with leakage when I used the Hollister products. I developed an angry red rash. I was prescribed an antibiotic and that helped. As time went on, I became more active, which made leakage an issue. I contacted Coloplast and was sent samples, and I was impressed!

Morning glory
Jun 07, 2024 7:26 pm

Welcome to the group. I hope you take Riva's advice. Education is key, and the group here is a soft place to land. Feel free to ask any questions that you have.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Hisbiscus
Jun 08, 2024 8:50 pm

Hi, you are at the stage that we all were when we first got our stomas. It's a learning curve, and trying different things to see what will work for you is essential. All the companies send samples. Call them and get them. You will have to figure out the rings, any barrier wipes, or adhesive remover as well. We can be allergic to any of this stuff.

I don't know how long it will take you to heal, but follow your hospital or nurse's instructions.

kayakkaren941
Jun 09, 2024 12:52 am

I have a history of allergies to adhesives. I can't wear Hollister at all. Coloplast and Convatec are both okay.