Struggling with Barrier Adhesion for Newcomers

Replies
Views
acarcher
Jun 11, 2024 9:58 am

I'm new to this world as of May 13, 2024. I'm having trouble finding a barrier or hack to adhere to my skin. Some advice, please πŸ™πŸΎ

AlexT
Jun 11, 2024 10:29 am

What are you using now? It's all a learning curve; things will get better. Your stoma is still adjusting to its final size, so what size it was last week may not be what it is now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jun 11, 2024 12:49 pm

Welcome. Good to have you. No worries. Others will advise.

What Alex said is true.

You want a barrier ring that sticks. First, remember, the skin must be dry to apply the ring.

Some use a hair dryer, lightly warming the area and the seal itself makes it more sticky. Did you know this? Try that.

The moldable ring I have success with is the Cohesive made by Eakin. Item number 839002. Don't overstretch it.

There are varying views on applying it: either to the skin first or the base plate first.

I did the former. It did not work well. The latter is better for me and works at sealing.

Do you know about mounting base plate belts? Use one.

Do you also know about sprays or wipes to remove your appliance without harm to your skin?

I was using the Brava protective seal, item 12039, for the longest time and decided to change since it was hard material, hard to form. It leaked often.

Like Alex said, there's a learning curve. You will have to experiment with what works for you. People will advise you on what works for them. Dig?

1 piece? 2 piece? Drainable?

It's a lot to digest.

Do you have an ostomy nurse? Get one.

Others will agree on this nurse; others may not agree on the products I suggested. That's fine because what works for me may not work for you.

You asked. It's my suggestion only.

Please follow up with what you decide. Thanks. You will be alright here. Patience. ☺️

Riva
Jun 11, 2024 3:02 pm

Welcome. All good suggestions. Ask away. Found soap with no oil; namely, Dial or Ivory works well for me on change day. You've got this πŸ’ͺ🌈

aTraveler
Jun 11, 2024 3:38 pm

You stated you are having trouble getting the barrier to adhere to your skin. Do you mean initially β€” not getting a good seal? For more than one day β€” tape border coming loose? Is the area around your stoma flat or round? Does your stoma protrude half an inch or more above your stomach? Are there crevices around your stoma?

The more information you can provide, the better. πŸ˜‰

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Hisbiscus
Jun 11, 2024 5:33 pm

First, you have to look at the preparation. Is there lotion on your hands? Was the skin exposed to hair shampoos or conditioners that are oily? Are you removing all old adhesive and washing and rinsing the area well before applying your new barrier? If you've done all of this, then you may want to change the brand you're using. Most companies give samples to try. Convatec's Durahesive bags stick very well.

If you're talking about a barrier wipe for your skin before applying your bag, then Safe and Simple barrier wipe is very good, but it tends to build up quickly and things can get sticky.

There are barrier rings that can be used to help as well.

Cavilon barrier wipes are good for healing if you ever get irritation.

Audrey Warren
Jun 12, 2024 11:51 am
Reply to AlexT

Nice, positive answer.πŸ‘

Beachboy
Jun 13, 2024 12:23 am

Basics

The skin around your stoma must be clean and dry.

Use soap that has no lotions, fragrances, or dyes. These chemicals interfere with wafer adhesion. I use Cetaphil bar soap with very good success.

Like others have mentioned, warm up the wafer adhesive before you install it. You can use a blow dryer set on low. Or, remove the wafer from the wrapper, hold the wafer against your stomach for a minute (side opposite your stoma), then peel off the backing and install it.

Use a bag retention belt. I use a Hollister thin, elastic belt that clips into tabs on the bag. I wear it all the time.

After installing the wafer, put on a stoma support belt. Wear the belt for an hour or so.

Use barrier spray/wipe. I use 3M Cavilon spray. It works well. You apply a skin barrier after cleaning and drying peristomal skin. It's safe to get some of the barrier spray or wipe on your stoma.

lauratutor
Jul 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Reply to warrior

Also new (three weeks), and has multiple daily leaks until I got a sample of Eakin rings. Try to get some samples and give them a test drive. As mentioned, every body is different.