Banana Chips as a Snack: Any Digestive Issues?

Replies
Views
Rene
Jun 17, 2022 10:47 pm

I buy banana chips in the produce section of my neighborhood grocery store as a snack for my African Grey bird. I don’t like bananas, but I tried one of these and it tasted pretty good. Would like to try these as a snack for myself. Has anyone had any issues with their stoma after eating these?

Hairdresser
Jun 18, 2022 1:28 am

Hi Rene

I was told by my dr to not eat dehydrated foods because they puff up when you digest them and could cause a blockage.  I am not sure if it is because of my ostomy or my scar tissue in my colon.   If I was you I would just try a very little to start and see how it goes.  Good luck 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Rene
Jun 18, 2022 2:48 pm
Reply to Hairdresser

Good to know. Thank you. That makes sense. 

Past Member
Jun 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi Rene!
No idea on the chips, but in my 8 colostomy years, I try things, and the results determine if I eat them again. 
Just wanted to say I have a beloved African Grey, Pepper. Adore him! 
Good Luck!

Liz

Kawajim
Jun 21, 2022 6:05 pm

Hi Rene,

I have had my iliostomy since1988 and have tried all manner of dehydrate fruits. I have tried the dehydrated bananas. I didn't eat many as I didn't care for the taste. But i have tried dehydrated pineapple, apricot, kiwi, apple, etc., and have never had any problem. Of course, we are all different in the way our bodies react differently things. I'm not suggesting you try the bananas, I'm just saying I have never problems.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play