Life Post-Colostomy and Gallbladder Surgery

Replies
Views
Hcbaggie
Jun 12, 2024 6:49 pm

Hi all, I finally had my surgery to have my gallbladder removed and a colostomy on June 10th. I've been allowed home as the wound was okay and I changed my own bag. I'm glad to be back in my bed, but I can't get out without a lot of support. Thankfully, I have my husband to help out, but I feel like a burden. I'm in a fair bit of pain, but glad it's done.

AlexT
Jun 12, 2024 7:20 pm

I know it's tough, but get up and walk anywhere and as much as you can.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Morning glory
Jun 12, 2024 7:57 pm

Wow, back home in just 2 days. You're going to do great. I am happy that your husband is helping you. Don't overdo it, stay hydrated, walk around, and eat sensibly. I am glad you found this group and are sharing already.

eefyjig
Jun 12, 2024 8:18 pm

We all remember the pain 🤕 Ditto to the walking. Even when it's uncomfortable, the movement really helps to keep "things" moving, get the gas out, etc. Hang in there, you're doing great and rely on your husband's help.

aTraveler
Jun 12, 2024 10:36 pm

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein to promote healing. The hospital was pushing Ensure. I couldn't tolerate Ensure, but find something you can tolerate to get protein. Surprised you are back home so quickly. It takes a while for your intestines to start working again. You start off on a liquid diet and after a few days, you can add soft foods like jello, pudding, etc., then a low residue diet:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/low-residue-diet-tips-797574

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Jun 12, 2024 11:36 pm

Be careful walking around. I fell twice in the two weeks after surgery. Fortunately, I only bruised my ribs. Somehow, recuperating from surgery, my balance was fuzzy.

AlexT
Jun 13, 2024 3:27 am

I started off by walking up and down my driveway, then around the circle I live in, and then up and down the street a few houses. Day by day, you'll do more and feel better. To completely heal takes longer than you think, or probably what your doctors have told you. Give yourself plenty of time to heal, but that doesn't mean sit around and do nothing. Slow and steady will get you where you want to be.

Hcbaggie
Jun 13, 2024 6:47 am

Thanks for the support. I have poor mobility, so I couldn't walk far before. I'm just walking around the house at the moment. I've got my prescription on order and enough supplies to hopefully last until Monday, unless I make a mess of them. We've found out I can't draw around the template and my husband can't cut it, so between us, we can do it. Looking forward to when its size has settled down and I can have them pre-cut.

ron in mich
Jun 13, 2024 12:09 pm

Hi Hcbaggie, welcome to the site. The first few days at home are kind of rough; getting in and out of bed or up from a recliner is hard on the stomach muscles and painful. I had resection surgery for my ileostomy a few years ago, and being much older than when I had my original surgery was a lot more difficult. It took a few months of taking it easy before I could do the things I had to without help.

IGGIE
Jun 13, 2024 2:33 pm

I cannot believe you're home already. Why the rush? Take it one step at a time and keep in touch with your doctor. Regards, IGGIE

almelia
Jun 15, 2024 6:57 pm

Take it easy on yourself... That was a quick turnaround, but I know what it's like in UK hospitals and just wanting to be back in your own bed. I had revision surgery at Christmas and was struggling to cut pouches and apply the seals... My son's girlfriend happily did a batch for me, saying she loved 'cutting & sticking'. Sometimes family are happy to be able to help in some way, so let them. Sending gentle hugs northwards.

Doe1mama
Jun 16, 2024 1:16 pm

What you're feeling is normal. Because of a prior stroke, my husband took a little bit to recover. But once we got him out of bed and started therapy, he began to feel better. We also used protein Ensure blended with fruit to help heal his incision faster.

Carey
Jun 17, 2024 3:47 am
Reply to AlexT

I had similar surgeries around the same time you did. I also had adhesions removed. It will get better. Your body has just had two organs removed. It will take time to heal and for organs to readjust in your abdomen. Keep moving, but rest when needed. Drink water and electrolytes.

Hcbaggie
Jun 17, 2024 9:44 am

Thank you all, I am getting around easier now. I am having a few problems with the placement of the bag as the stoma is in a big dip, so it's a bit sore.

Hcbaggie
Jun 18, 2024 4:13 pm

An update: Had a change of bag as my skin was very sore and changed to a convex bag. Given some powder to put on. Wounds healing well.
Thanks all.