Managing Excessive Noise from Wind Post-Colostomy

Replies
Views
allyferguson1986
Jun 13, 2024 11:46 am

Hi there, I had a loop colostomy 4 weeks ago due to fighting colitis for 15 years. I'm managing fairly well but having terrible trouble with unwelcome and unannounced very noisy wind. I knew wind was a thing but didn't think it'd be so noisy - and very embarrassing when in public. I've tried changing my diet, i.e., cutting out foods and fizzy drinks.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will it subside, or does anyone have any tips to combat it?

Hisbiscus
Jun 13, 2024 12:47 pm

You could try Gas-X tablets, also known as simethicone. Other than that, I try coughing loudly. Sometimes, when all else fails, I just say it's my abdominal stoma and hopefully they don't ask questions. If they do, you can just say it's from a surgery I had to have. It's much easier when it's friends who already know about my ostomy. It's definitely a struggle.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jun 13, 2024 1:46 pm

Noisy wind is probably caused by the walls of the stoma vibrating when the wind is exiting (think of a whoopy cushion or balloon when the exit is stretched).

I found that stoma plugs completely cured this problem. However, I understand that they have now been withdrawn from the market, which isn't very helpful. 
There are various DIY devices that I have tried in the past, which imitate the stoma plugs and keep the passage open for the wind to pass through.
The best of these involved adapting a Vicks nasal spray so that the screw-on the outside section can be cut and act as a nut to hold a washer/wafer so that the device doesn't disappear into the stoma. The second essential is to fill the tube with cotton wool (or something similar) so that the walls of the stoma don't migrate into the open hole in the end of the device., yet it still lets the wind out.
Of course. I should have said at the outset, that this will probably only work if one is irrigating, otherwise output will probably push the device out quite quickly.
I do hope you manage to find a solution to your problem and I still have one or two Coloplast stoma plugs spare if you wanted to try that method just to see if it works for you.  If so, just message me with your address  and I'll send you a couple.
Best wishes

Bill 

allyferguson1986
Jun 13, 2024 2:39 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thanks, I'll look into them!

Yeah, I'm not embarrassed about telling people I have a stoma. It's just the fact that it likes to happen in the most quiet and intimate situations 😆 and quite often with no warning. Hopefully, it subsides 🤞🏻

aTraveler
Jun 13, 2024 6:02 pm

You can also try peppermint tea and/or IBgard to reduce the amount of gas. You may not realize the amount of air you swallow while eating. The goal is to minimize the amount of air you swallow while eating food. The quantity of air bubbles ingested considerably increases if you talk while eating food. Habits such as smoking, sucking on candies, sipping drinks through a straw, chewing gum, and gulping drinks increase the amount of gas entering the ostomy pouch.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Maried
Jun 15, 2024 11:06 pm

You are only 4 weeks in. It takes time to become less noisy. My noise makers are candy, high-fat foods, and apples.

IGGIE
Jun 16, 2024 2:45 pm
Reply to allyferguson1986

Good day, Ally. If mine makes a noise, I look the person near me right in the eye and say, "Was that you?" They can't get away fast enough. Regards, IGGIE.