life

Replies
Views
Megs
Aug 17, 2024 4:32 pm

I don't know how I got to be 72. One day I was 32 and next 72.  I've had my ileostomy more than half my life.  I had no one to talk to then in the same position. No internet.  The thing I looked forward to most was the monthly edition of the ia magazine.  I went straight to the back where I could read the letters from subscribers. Not many but I was intrigued to hear their stories and problems. I mostly haven't had any problems (incidents I can laugh about now) apart from three years ago when my intestine burst.  in 1986 my hospital had to bring a surgeon down from London to do my op. I could choose the position and he was spot on.  I never had time to think about it but he saved my life enabling me to continue raising my two young daughters.

Anyway I just wanted to say I love life and am grateful I have made it so far and hope to have at least another 20 years. 

AlexT
Aug 17, 2024 7:30 pm

I’m not sure how I stay 18. 🤷‍♂️ you have the right mindset, keep enjoying. 👍

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Megs
Aug 17, 2024 8:09 pm
Reply to AlexT

You have right mindset also.

What really helped me in those early days was that my husband still fancied me and loved me.  Plus the fact I was so healthy with getting rid of the bad colon and no more pain.  

Beachboy
Aug 17, 2024 8:59 pm

The days, weeks, and years, do go by quick.  I'm already 19 months post op.  Wow.

I'm so used to having a colostomy, I don't really think about it anymore.

It is amazing, if we step back and think about it.  The internet...allows people from all over the world to converse with each other, almost instantaneously.  

Only reason I'm doing so well with my Ostomy, is this web site.  And all the worldwide fellow Ostemates who provide their experiences, tips, advice, and heartaches.  

Life is a random event.  Some people have few physical problems.  Others are plagued with illness.  I've had lots of illness/surgeries..... took a licking.... but still ticking.  

Mrivera8
Aug 17, 2024 11:59 pm

Megs,

This may be the happiest I’ve felt while reading a topic on this forum. Very heartwarming and spirit lifting.

Thank you ❤️

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Aug 18, 2024 1:27 am
Reply to AlexT

Perhaps it’s only mental…🫵   

AlexT
Aug 18, 2024 4:50 am
Reply to Justbreathe

😂 the mental part is 95% of everything we do, the other 5% should be ignored or be seen for. 🤷‍♂️😁

Megs
Aug 18, 2024 10:28 am
Reply to Beachboy

So glad you're doing well after your "licking".  I enjoy very much seeing your photos on your bike rides and walks.  The birds, the sea, the restaurants.

TerryLT
Aug 18, 2024 7:57 pm
Reply to Megs

Hi Megs,  What a great and inspiring post!  You and I have a lot in common it seems.  We are the same age for one.  I know I (usually) feel like a 25 years old, until I look in the mirror!  I lived with a bad colon as well, and my ileostomy saved me.  Life is good.  I'm wondering though, about your comment of your intestine bursting three years ago?  It's a fear I have, as being ileostomates, it's all we have left.  What happened and how was it resolved?

Terry

Megs
Aug 18, 2024 10:09 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Well Terry it started in the summer of 2020.  I had pain and blockages and attended A&E on three occasions.  On one of those they did an ileoscopy..going in through my tummy with students standing around who had never seen an ostomy before.  They unblocked it and the consultant said everything looked normal.  My spout didn't look normal to me. It was swollen and looked different. I kept telling them how bad the pain was but they didn't seem to care.  I had erythema ab igna on my tummy from the hot water bottle. I had CT and MRI scans. But nothing was found.  It was after Christmas 2021 when at 11pm one night when I felt a pop in my stomach. I was throwing up brown liquid and in a lot of pain .  I rang 999 and I was taken straight in. They got a consultant out of bed to come in.  They cut me open along the same line as in 1986.  They took a 6 inch piece of intestine away.  They used the same ostomy site. Washed me out but I had peritonitis and treated with a range of antibiotics.   5 weeks in hospital. Blood transfusion and iron infusions. The piece of colon was cancerous.   They took it all out and I have yearly CT scans. I'm 100% well again and eating what mostly everything but chewing well.  They apologised to me that i wasn't listened to. I accepted as I know their workload was heavy.  I don't know what caused the cancer. I had UC originally. What caused your bad colon originally? I had my op when I was 34 but looking back I think I had problems from when I was a young teen.  I'm glad you're healthy and feel good. We're all different so I don't think you should worry about cancer. 

Sorry this is so long but that's my story. It's great not to have any pain as that is the worse pain ever that you have no control over.  We could be twins! My best wishes ,

Megs

Megs
Aug 19, 2024 12:02 am
Reply to TerryLT

P.s. Terry....I have just read your profile and see what you have been through. Yes very similar with blockages etc. I think you'll  be okay now you have got rid of your bad colon.  🤗

IGGIE
Aug 19, 2024 2:12 pm
Reply to Megs

G-Day Megs, You sound a very caring lady, I am so glad your in a good place at the moment. Regards IGGIE

TerryLT
Aug 19, 2024 9:14 pm
Reply to Megs

Hi Megs,  OMG, you've been through a lot!  So, they removed a piece of your small intestine? Do you now have what they call 'short bowel syndrome'?  I'm not worried about cancer, just concerned that blockages could result in a perforation of my small bowel.  It was a perforated large bowel that resulted in my first surgery.  It was the result of years of what was called 'constipation' but was really just a large bowel that didn't work properly.  The muscles didn't move the stool along as they were supposed to.  The correct diagnosis was 'colonic inertia', but I didn't get that until after my colostomy, when they discovered that the bowel didn't work any better with a colostomy than it had before.  Hence the ileostomy, which changed my life for the better.  I just want to keep my small bowel healthy, so I chew my food like crazy, and hope for the best!

Terry

Megs
Aug 20, 2024 4:34 am

Hi Terry, The piece taken out was about 6 inches and they never mentioned "short bowel syndrome". to me although I have read up about it. My body must absorb enough nutrients from the remainder as  I feel so well and I'm always careful to chew like crazy too.

I think our small bowels are very tough and as long as we avoid foods we know are bad we should be okay.

I bet you were amazed when you finally got an ileostomy to feel what it was like to be healthy.

Megs

TerryLT
Aug 20, 2024 8:15 pm
Reply to Megs

Yes,  It was amazing to not have pain and discomfort as my normal!

Terry