Failing Gall Bladder and Liver After Intestinal Surgery

Replies
Views
Navigator
Jun 14, 2024 1:23 am

Hello fellow ostomates, it has been confirmed after having my intestines removed - all but 8 inches for the "Hartman's Pouch." Anyone here ever had to have the gall bladder removed? For me, it was within a month after 11 years of losing the intestines. Thank you, Henry.

Kas
Jun 14, 2024 10:12 am

Hi Henry,

I had my gallbladder removed, but it was about 10 years or so before the cancer and colostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

eefyjig
Jun 14, 2024 12:46 pm

Hi Henry, I had mine removed a couple of years ago after suffering from stomach pain after eating. I still have the pain intermittently, so my gallbladder was clearly not the issue, but the surgery was mainly laparoscopic with a small cut above my navel due to scar tissue. The eight-day-long gas pain was something I had never experienced before, even with my four laparoscopic ostomy surgeries, and that was not fun. Other than that, healing was easy.

DexieB
Jun 14, 2024 2:10 pm

Hello, I had my gallbladder removed in 2019, way before my cancer and colostomy. I had been sick on and off for several years before they figured it out. My liver enzymes were bad after a really horrible weekend of pain; that's how my doctor finally realized it was likely my gallbladder and sent me for an ultrasound. It was packed full of stones. I had the surgery and went home an hour later. My stomach was sore from the surgery for a week or so, but I was glad it was out and the pain was gone. I haven't had any issues since, and my liver went back to normal function.

infinitycastle52777
Jun 14, 2024 9:19 pm

I just had my gallbladder out last February. It was a big help, actually. I don't have any of the symptoms I had before it was taken out. It is a minor surgery, and I did it as an outpatient. I was sore for 3 or 4 days and then back on my feet. I only needed pain meds for 2 days. Then they were not needed.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play