Stoma Care Tips Needed for Frequent Blowouts

Replies
Views
thegonzos1
Jun 15, 2024 4:49 am

My stoma is the size of a pencil eraser, and super convex. I am changing 2 to 3 times a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beachboy
Jun 15, 2024 7:16 am

Hello,

Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy?

By "super convex" do you mean your stoma barely sticks above your skin?

Do you use a two-piece system or one-piece?

If you use a two-piece system, are you changing bags or the wafer two to three times a day?

Answers to these questions would clarify what you would like to accomplish.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
Jun 15, 2024 7:17 am

Hello T,

Ileo or colo, and what is your current setup? Do you use a barrier ring? Do you have access to a stoma nurse? These things will be helpful for people to answer your question.

TerryLT
Jun 15, 2024 7:46 pm

As the others said, more information would be helpful. If your stoma is that small, I am assuming it's an ileostomy, but I'm not sure what you mean by it being super convex. Does it stick out, or is it flush with your skin, or below skin level? If it's flush or below skin level, getting a good seal can be very challenging. If it sticks out, it's probably just your routine, as there are lots of reasons why you might not be getting a good seal.

Terry

Kimmy050263
Jun 15, 2024 9:56 pm

I would think 2-3 times a day blowouts would not be normal at all! You should contact your doctor; they may be able to refer you to a stoma nurse.

Kim

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
GrammieRed
Jun 16, 2024 10:59 am

Hi,

As others have said, we need more information. Do you have an ileo or colo? How far does your ostomy stick out? Do you use a seal or paste? A one-piece or two-piece appliance? Is your belly around the stoma flat, rounded, or does it have folds? Is this a new ostomy?

No matter the answer to these questions, changing 2-3 times a day is unusual. Please let us know. We can help. :)

thegonzos1
Jun 16, 2024 4:36 pm
Reply to Beachboy

It's like a super innie belly button. I've been using both systems with little to no luck.

thegonzos1
Jun 16, 2024 4:36 pm
Reply to Axl

Yes to both, and I have a colostomy.

thegonzos1
Jun 16, 2024 4:38 pm
Reply to TerryLT

It's below skin level.

thegonzos1
Jun 16, 2024 4:40 pm
Reply to GrammieRed

It's below skin level. I use paste and rings, and I have folds.

TerryLT
Jun 16, 2024 7:49 pm
Reply to thegonzos1

This is very difficult. I've heard of ostomates in your situation who just cannot get a good seal as output is impossible to keep from getting under the flange, barrier, paste, or whatever. It's unfortunate that your surgeon left you with this, and I would suggest you look into getting a revision done, with a different surgeon. It may be your only solution. I wish you luck.

Terry

thegonzos1
Jun 17, 2024 6:33 am
Reply to TerryLT

But if I do that, will I have to wait longer for the reversal surgery?

TerryLT
Jun 17, 2024 8:00 pm
Reply to thegonzos1

Ah, I did not realize you just have a temporary ostomy! I don't know how long your surgeon told you that you would have to wait for a reversal. I doubt that he or she, or any other surgeon for that matter, would consider a revision surgery when it's going to be reversed anyway. I could be wrong, so you could look into it, but would you really want to go through another surgery when the whole thing is going to be reversed anyway? I guess it depends on just how bad things are for you right now. Can you cope with it knowing it's just temporary? Have a talk with your surgeon.

Terry

thegonzos1
Jun 18, 2024 1:30 am
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks for the input, Terry. There's a company that makes bags specifically for the patient's stoma. My ostomy nurse made a mold of my stoma and the surrounding area and sent it in. It just takes about a month to get the product. I am trying to hold it together until then.

Kimmy050263
Jun 20, 2024 7:35 pm
Reply to thegonzos1

Glad you saw an ostomy nurse! My stoma was huge to start with, then kind of shrunk, but never shrunk to the size you mention. You will get through this! Maybe change more often? I know sometimes my stoma would shrink up a bit; when changing the bag, my boyfriend would give her a little tug to pull her through the bag and make sure she was sort of poking downwards. There were times I was worried she was going to shrink inside the wafer/bag; I would press on the circular part of the bag and wafer. Not sure if that will help you at all, just thought I would mention it.

Do let us know about your new specialized bags.

Kim

thegonzos1
Jun 21, 2024 2:10 am
Reply to Kimmy050263

I will. Pressing doesn't show my stoma as it's that deep.