Reversal 14 Weeks Post-Colostomy - Seeking Advice and Tips

Replies
Views
ostomychik
Jun 20, 2024 8:43 pm

Thrilled and terrified... I had a colostomy due to perforation on 4/10/24, and after my third post-surgical check-up today, I am now scheduled for a reversal on 7/16/24. I was really just getting used to having an ostomy. I am a bit terrified about the reversal - while I don't like "having a bag," I do like not having all the IBS issues, etc., and am terrified to have bathroom issues again. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Mysterious Mose
Jun 20, 2024 9:05 pm

Good fortune to you. Like a number of people here, I personally decided against a reversal. However, I do not have a colon, so the decision was easy for me. It's much different for you. I don't know the seriousness of your previous bout with IBS, but I would gladly go back if I had an intact colon, especially if I were just a kid like you. 🤓

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Audrey Warren
Jun 20, 2024 10:00 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel makes a good point about how serious your IBS is. I elected to have a colostomy because I have IBS. I suffered from chronic constipation all my life, but it became much worse as I aged. Even though I still have IBS and it's an annoyance, when I have to empty

my bag after morning coffee, it is incomplete and I may have to empty it several times, which can take up to 90 minutes. Fortunately, once done, I usually am done until the next morning.

I would rather keep the bag than sit on the toilet straining to have a bowel movement

which is not complete and then have stool in my rectum.

If your IBS isn't that debilitating, then seriously consider a reversal.

IGGIE
Jun 24, 2024 12:29 pm

G-Day Ostomychik, write down all the good and bad points for a reversal or a stoma and see which one has the most (good) and that's the one to go for. Been there and done that and that's why I now have my wonderful stoma. Regards, IGGIE

DexieB
Jun 27, 2024 1:52 pm

Hello - I also had a colostomy due to colonic perforation during a biopsy. I had it for 8 months, then had my reversal on January 30, 2024. It went great - no issues with the bathroom. My only complication was a hernia I developed from coughing. I got sick three days after my reversal surgery, and the cough, combined with multiple surgeries that weakened my abdominal wall, caused a hernia. One thing to note, I did not have IBS prior to my ostomy - so that might make a difference.

I wish you the best!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Differentclass
Jul 12, 2024 8:01 am

I've got my reversal on 1st August. I've had my colostomy since last September. It's nerve-wracking, isn't it, to put ourselves through all that again, but hopefully, it'll be a lot easier than last time. 🤞 The best of luck to you, keep us updated.