Stoma Retraction and Skin Irritation Concerns

Replies
Views
Moan-A
Jul 20, 2024 1:25 am

Hi everyone
I'm a newbie to this site. I come from South Australia and I was released from the hospital 4 days ago. Since then, I've had the home care nurse check out my stoma and how I'm coping with attaching it. This is not my concern; however, I'm really hoping someone can help me. My stoma this morning, after releasing my bag and cleaning the site, has shown it has retracted into my belly. When I came from the hospital, it was like one small plum and one small grape. I did have an opening on one of the sides, but my stoma nurse said it would close up on its own. I'm wondering if the shrinkage is normal. Any advice appreciated. My husband wants me to ring the hospital, but I'm hoping I don't need to yet.
Also, I have a rather red ring surrounding the stoma where the bag has come off. Am I fitting it high enough to the stoma or not, and/or am I applying too much pressure on the bag to seal it on my skin? I am using a barrier cream on my clean skin away from the stoma itself, plus dusting powder as shown on the stoma before application.

Thanks, Moan-A

AlexT
Jul 20, 2024 2:27 am

You could try a convex bag or convex barrier ring. The redness could be a few things: 1) irritation from the sticky stuff, 2) output getting onto the skin, 3) the hole on your bag/wafer is too tight on your stoma.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Jul 20, 2024 5:57 am

Get your Stoma Nurse to have a look; that's what they're there for. But I agree with Alex, try a convex system; it will help to push the stoma forward. Regards, IGGIE

Moan-A
Jul 20, 2024 11:15 am
Reply to AlexT

Thank you. I wondered if I pressed down on my stoma bag too hard against my skin today. I'll try not to be so nervous when the next change occurs.

Moan-A
Jul 20, 2024 11:19 am
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you. I wondered if I pressed down on my stoma bag too hard against my skin today. I'll try not to be so nervous when the next change occurs.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
ron in mich
Jul 20, 2024 12:48 pm

Hi Moan A, welcome to the site. I have a red ring around my stoma when I make a change, but the skin isn't raw and the ring goes away after I've washed around the stoma. The stoma will shrink after surgery, but it shouldn't be at skin level, so a convex wafer is probably the one to use, maybe even with a barrier ring. Good luck.

AlexT
Jul 20, 2024 12:49 pm
Reply to Moan-A

I press on mine pretty hard for roughly 5 minutes when I apply a new bag; I doubt pressing on it caused the redness.

TerryLT
Jul 20, 2024 9:05 pm

Hi Moan-A, Welcome to the site. I don't want to scare you, but if your stoma has retracted into your belly, i.e., below skin level, you may have a problem finding a way to get your appliance to stick and keep from leaking. A stoma should ideally sit above skin level. I would talk to the surgeon. It may be that you will need to have a stoma revision. In the meantime, as others have said, use a convex wafer and unless your skin looks irritated, the redness is probably nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Terry

Moan-A
Jul 20, 2024 11:54 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you to all who responded to my concern. I am using a convex wafer with my bags. After a little panic yesterday, I went and redid the stoma bag just so I could really examine where it is sitting. It appeared it is actually level with my skin, which is near my waist. I will still take advice and speak to my Stoma Therapy Nurse tomorrow.

Megs
Jul 21, 2024 5:59 am
Reply to Moan-A

Hi Moan-A

I don't think it should be skin level. It makes it very hard to prevent leakages even with a convex. You may need a revision as Terry suggests. Please let us know how you get on after speaking to your stoma therapy nurse.

Best wishes

Megs

Kimmy050263
Jul 21, 2024 8:53 pm

I know your concerns; my stoma changed sizes often. There were a few times that I thought it was retreating, then it would puff out again. My ostomy nurse told me that the stoma will evolve over time.