Stoma Bag Leakage Issues with Ileostomy

Replies
Views
spope001
Jun 22, 2024 11:02 pm

Hello, I have had my ileostomy for 2 months and now I am experiencing a lot of bag leakage. I do have a lot of swelling on the right side of the stoma, and it always leaks out the left side of the bag. The bag is leaking several times per week, and I am supposed to be getting the reversal done next month. I am beside myself!

Hisbiscus
Jun 23, 2024 12:28 am

You may need a convex bag. Have you gone back to the doctor or stoma nurse about this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Maried
Jun 23, 2024 12:47 am

Do you use an ostomy barrier ring? It acts like a gasket between your bag and stoma. I started using them over 5 years ago and they have prevented many leaks.

spope001
Jun 23, 2024 1:18 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

I have reached out to the stoma nurse... she said to use the barrier ring, which I have been using, and also to place stoma paste on the side that's not swollen to even things out. That didn't work today; maybe I had used too much paste. But I will look into the convex bags. Thank you for the info.

eefyjig
Jun 23, 2024 3:01 am

I concur with those suggesting a convex wafer. It can make all the difference. Good luck and hang in there.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
kittybou
Jun 23, 2024 9:53 am

I talked to a stoma nurse from Convatec. She said to stand up when placing the bag on. The leaks stopped for me. I am so happy!

DavidK
Jun 23, 2024 9:57 am
Reply to spope001

Did your stoma nurse demonstrate in person or over the phone how to use the barrier ring system?

Ideally, the stoma nurse would give you an in-person demonstration.

warrior
Jun 23, 2024 11:54 am
Reply to DavidK

That's why there is YouTube.

If she can't wait, if the stoma nurse appointment is a week away, YouTube has quite a selection on ostomy appliance and "how to".

It certainly can't hurt viewing these videos.

Mysterious Mose
Jun 23, 2024 3:35 pm

I had similar issues, assuming that you mean your wafer is leaking and not the pouch itself. A convex wafer and a slim barrier ring did the trick for me.

I also agree with Warrior. YouTube has a lot of helpful how-to videos for ostomates.

Daniel

Kimmy050263
Jun 23, 2024 9:48 pm

I had a lot of leaks in the beginning. It became a matter of trial and error. When changing the bag, I used a blow dryer on a low heat setting to dry things off after rinsing my belly with the Domeboro powder. Sometimes, though, there was just no stopping the leaks. In the end, we had them minimized. I learned that sometimes it was just going to happen. I did get a sample of the convex bags but never understood how they were supposed to work. I stuck with the Hollister 8901 bags.

Kim

Mysterious Mose
Jun 23, 2024 10:50 pm
Reply to Kimmy050263

Warming the adhesive with that same blow dryer is also a good idea. Warmer glue = tighter connection.

Daniel

leslielklinzing
Jun 25, 2024 2:37 am

Thank you all for your experiences and suggestions. I have used ConvaTec wafer and an Eakin Cohesive ring since day one and a drainable bag. My wafer, for the most part, stays attached for 1-3 weeks. I have never had an issue with my stoma. I have never needed or been to a GI since my original surgery. I have been very blessed with my situation, and it concerns me so much to now have this horrible pain right under my stoma. For the most part, my output is normal. I jump on my phone as soon as it rings, hoping it is the GI office getting me scheduled.

spope001
Jun 25, 2024 12:16 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you, Daniel. I will also try the blow dryer trick.