Digestive Differences with Black Beans vs. Other Beans

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Jun 30, 2024 12:14 pm

Are black beans somehow different from other beans? I ask because my ostomy doesn't seem to have any problems with baked beans, butter beans, and so on, but when it comes to black beans, they don't digest. They come out looking like beans or the skins of the beans. This doesn't happen with any other beans I have eaten. I am just wondering what it is about black beans.

Morning glory
Jun 30, 2024 11:24 pm

That's strange, maybe because the skin is thicker. Kidney beans have that thick skin too, so one would think they would bother you too. Our bodies are so unique. Sometimes I can eat something and the next time I try, I can't. Maybe try again in a very small portion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

infinitycastle52777
Jul 01, 2024 12:16 pm
Reply to Morning glory

I am glad you said that about sometimes being able to eat something and then not being able to the next time. That happens to me all the time, especially with things like salsa, cooked peas, and cooked carrots, among other things. I am glad I am not the only one who goes through that. I might try black beans again, just in a smaller amount. They were on a salad, and I didn't really think about it until I saw all these beans in my bag. Marvin the stoma can be picky. I have trouble with a lot of foods, and last January, I had a blockage. It was my first one, and it scared me a bit. I don't like NG tubes at all. I was fortunate that the blockage cleared after a few days in the hospital, and I didn't need surgery. It has made me a little more careful about what I eat since I don't know what caused the blockage or which food I ate that didn't sit well. Anyway, thanks for your reply.