Prolonged Ice on Stoma - Safe for 25 Minutes?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Jun 18, 2023 10:24 pm

I have always had issues with appliance changes when it comes to slowing output. I've tried everything imaginable. The other day I rested a small bag of ice on my stoma (with the bag on) and dozed off for 25 minutes. Stoma was very cool to the touch, obviously, but I had no output and it made the change so easy. I've always been told to leave ice on for 5 minutes or less. Does anyone know if 25 minutes of ice can cause future problems? I get differing opinions from home health nurses.....

Justbreathe
Jun 19, 2023 1:31 am

Ouch!
Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Riva
Jun 19, 2023 3:15 am

Try eating a few marshmallows 30-45 minutes before change day. It works!!

w30bob
Jun 19, 2023 10:53 am

Hi jalrein,

Well, this is the most interesting post I've read in some time! Ice causes blood vessels to constrict, but I never thought to use it on my stoma. Normally, ice shouldn't be used anywhere for more than 15 minutes or so, as the smallest vessels could be damaged by the continued cold. And your stoma is made almost entirely of blood vessels. I'd tread lightly here if it were me, but you may have stumbled onto something here as a way to change your barrier when you just can't get your output to stop. When cold, your stoma should be a duller red color. But anything less red than that would be an indication that things are not good. So pay careful attention to the color of your stoma. The last thing you want to do is damage any blood vessels in it. Very interesting.......

;O)

jalrein
Jun 19, 2023 11:02 am
Reply to w30bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm very wary of ever trying anything that can damage my stoma or anything surrounding it. The one time I tried this, it worked great, but I stumbled by dozing off for 25 min. Not gonna ever try or do this again with ice. I was hoping someone here knew more about this from experience, but so far the community here has been silent on this post, so I guess that gives me my answer. I will be going back to my old methods of limiting all drinking and eating a number of hours the night before my changes. I have tried marshmallows; however, they never worked for me.....

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Axl
Jun 20, 2023 4:25 am

If there is not just a certain time of day when your output is zero?

I can't get past falling asleep with a bag of ice on your stomach!!

How is that possible..

jalrein
Jun 20, 2023 8:44 am
Reply to Axl

Hey Axl. I do all my changes between 5-6am. I wake up that morning at 5:15am. A lot of output. I grab a small bag of ice cubes and place it on my bag while I'm lying back a little in bed. I doze off. I don't put the ice directly on my stoma, it's on my stoma over the bag.......there's your answer.....

Axl
Jun 20, 2023 10:21 am

Hi J

That sounds much better than what I was thinking...

I'm surprised you can't find a part of the day that is more suitable for you changing. Mid-morning is ideal for me, but as I work, before dinner or later before bed are my times.

Axl

Redondo
Jun 25, 2023 9:08 pm

I would be very concerned applying ice on the stoma area, especially for that long, that it could shrivel up and go inside. I have applied ice for 10 minutes below the stoma to ease pain. Even when it is recommended to apply ice to injured areas, it is only recommended for no longer than 20 minutes.

A marshmallow or two can slow output.

Justbreathe
Jun 26, 2023 11:27 am

Hey Jalrein - just checking in to see how your iced stoma is now doing and hoping all is back to normal. I can easily see how this slip-up could happen given those wee early morning hours. JB