Gastroparesis and Ostomy - What Medications Are You Using?

Replies
Views
rosebud621
Jul 09, 2024 11:51 pm

Has anyone with an ostomy been diagnosed with gastroparesis? What medication are you on?

warrior
Jul 10, 2024 12:47 am

Had to google it. Dang... Sorry... nope, have not seen anyone here mentioning it. Good luck in your research. Sorry.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jul 10, 2024 6:44 am

Hello rosebud.

I too needed to look it up and found the symptoms interesting in that they were quite similar to colonic inertia., except that it focussed on the stomach rather than the rest of the colonic system.
There are some interesting articles on the internet, which recommend certain medication and dietary/lifestyle changes.
Best wishes

Bill

Beth22
Jul 12, 2024 1:01 pm

Hi there,

I have gastroparesis and an ileostomy. There is actually only one medication they give for it, it's Reglan. I can't take it because I am highly allergic. I am careful about what I eat because certain foods can cause a ball to form in the stomach, and I have learned to eat foods that my stomach can process more easily. How long of a delay does your stomach have?

rosebud621
Jul 13, 2024 12:42 am
Reply to Beth22

Thank you, Beth, for responding. I was diagnosed years ago but couldn't take the medication either. I am going for a gastric emptying test next week. I think I have it but am afraid to try medicine again. It's hard for me to balance what I eat and get enough nutrients. I have tried to eat bananas, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, but it causes cramps. Do you find drinking hot beverages helps, or sometimes I do yoga stretches and the pain stops.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Beth22
Jul 13, 2024 5:15 am
Reply to rosebud621

When I make mashed potatoes, I really thin them out. I make them with either fat-free milk or water; water seems to be less binding and easier for the stomach to digest. I don't eat bananas or oatmeal as they would never pass through my stoma—lol, I tend to be thick to start with. I do drink Ensure every day so I can get the vitamins my body needs since I can't eat them. Apple juice is also good for potassium. The rest is kind of a test and see, besides the stuff you know you can't eat with gastroparesis, like green beans or anything stringy, no gummies or marshmallows either, which I am sure you know the list. And you would think by now they would have more than one medication for this. How they only have one is beyond crazy.

eefyjig
Jul 13, 2024 2:23 pm

Serena, may I ask how you were diagnosed with gastroparesis? I have a few of those symptoms and everything else has been ruled out.

~Lori

rosebud621
Jul 13, 2024 3:07 pm
Reply to Beth22

Thank you for your reply and information about the food. I was eating most of those and didn't realize why I had such pain in the center of my stomach that radiates to my lower back. Now I know. We have no medical dietitians in our area, so it is trial and error, but no one seems to have much information about diet. You have given me more information than anyone. Do you have trouble maintaining weight? My reward now is fat-free Yogurt Ice Cream by Hood. It's hard to go out to dinner with friends; everyone eats salads and vegetables, plus the portions are so large! 😔

rosebud621
Jul 13, 2024 3:08 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Gastric emptying test will diagnose it, plus symptoms.

rosebud621
Jul 20, 2024 1:06 pm
Reply to Beth22

Hi Beth, just had the test and the results say 62% at 2 hours remained and that's when I started getting the pain in the center of my stomach. However, by 4 hours, it was at 5%. My gastro Dr. said he was fine with the results. I still feel it has something to do with the pain.