Alternatives to Stoma Powder for Irritated Skin Around Stoma

Replies
Views
spope001
Jul 13, 2024 2:44 pm

What can I use besides stoma powder and crusting technique for the skin surrounding my stoma and wafer? It is irritated, itchy, and blotchy.

Justbreathe
Jul 13, 2024 6:42 pm

Are you using a barrier wipe first?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Jul 13, 2024 8:07 pm

The stoma powder and wipe/crusting technique will do nothing for your skin irritation. It is only meant to help the appliance stick to your skin if it is raw and damaged. I don't know what type of appliance you're using, but both Hollister and Coloplast make appliances with wafers infused with ceramide, which is supposed to promote healthy skin. The best product, in my opinion, for damaged skin is made by Salts. It's a barrier ring infused with aloe and was the only thing that healed my skin when it got really bad. If you are able to get that product, I would highly recommend it. It's made in England and is available in Canada and Australia, but someone on this site said there was a way for those in the U.S. to get it.

Terry

spope001
Jul 13, 2024 8:44 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

At first, before using the stoma powder, I was always using a barrier wipe. Then I was told to apply the powder and blot with the wipes. Well, it leaked.

spope001
Jul 13, 2024 8:45 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you... will check it out.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Hisbiscus
Jul 14, 2024 12:22 am

I see you are in Florida. The humidity down there must be a bear for sweating. Try some Domeboro soaks, something you can buy in your local pharmacy. Mix up in water as directed and soak a paper towel, then set it in the area after cleaning up with adhesive, soap, and water. You can do this daily. It should clear up in no time.

Justbreathe
Jul 14, 2024 12:57 am
Reply to spope001

Early on, I had a nasty rash and was told to use a barrier wipe, then lightly dust stoma powder - it cleared almost immediately. I used both for a long time and eventually dropped the powder. To date, I continue to use a barrier wipe before applying the pouch. On occasion, I do have slight leaks (aka poop around the stoma and outward toward my skin when the bag is removed). Even with that, the skin seems to be protected, which I attribute to the barrier wipe.

IGGIE
Jul 14, 2024 2:50 pm
Reply to spope001

G-Day spope001, there are lots of different products; it could be the one you're using. All the companies send out free samples; get a few and try them all. It could be as simple as the adhesive on one of them you are allergic to. Regards, IGGIE

spope001
Jul 14, 2024 4:26 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thank you, Hibiscus! Never heard of it, but will definitely check that out. And yes, the heat and humidity here in Florida is over the top.

spope001
Jul 14, 2024 4:28 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you for the info, IGGIE. I appreciate it.

margueritelewis89
Jul 17, 2024 1:54 pm
Reply to spope001

Calamine lotion dried well around the stoma area, then an extra barrier sheet is patted on top of the dry calamine before applying the flange. The secret is to keep the area dry to maintain the flange in place. Hope this helps!

Redondo
Jul 20, 2024 5:41 pm

A doctor recommended using Flonase or Flectonase to heal the skin. I found it really works for me whenever my skin breaks out.

sassy222
Jul 21, 2024 12:48 pm

You can use calamine lotion.

rlevineia
Jul 21, 2024 2:02 pm

Had the same problem. Bleeding, too. My Ostomy Nurse put me on Nyamyc Powder for crusting. It's an antibiotic, used to treat wounds. Need a doctor's script. Switched to wiping pads, not the free tiny wipes. About $20 a box. My "little buddy" is happy now.

Nungsr
Jul 21, 2024 4:35 pm
Reply to TerryLT

I have irritated skin also, and it seems like nothing helps. I've tried barrier rings, but they just cause leaking. I've just given up and learned to deal with it, unfortunately. There aren't any ostomy nurses near me.

Toto
Jul 21, 2024 7:27 pm

A wound care doctor told me to get nystatin powder and it works! You need a prescription, but they can give you a big bottle and it lasts a long time!

singtune4u
Jul 21, 2024 7:28 pm

This stuff is expensive, but I think it works well. I used it, then put a barrier wipe and stoma powder over the top of it near the stoma.

Just used it by itself on areas irritated by adhesive. A little goes a long way.

I stretched it out by putting the applicator in a plastic bag after the first use.

Then, the next time I needed it, I used scissors or tweezers to pop off the top sponge applicator, and just used a Q-tip.

I got 2 uses out of each little vial that way. I was able to get it through my supplier and insurance paid for it.

Medline Marathon Liquid Skin Protectant Applicator

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MSC093001-Marathon-Protectant-Applicator/dp/B00DYZLV8I/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.bLEpTN_NzLlrMabsq4FuoRtGwY8-HfmO9vzfDqMAnufGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.Dh1DpzL5d55nNRDjPCdMUwyh_WLgSGMSnZfGTjpfCGY&dib_tag=se&hvadid=410018031072&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027818&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18330645009953834084&hvtargid=kwd-593670656382&hydadcr=13397_11424511&keywords=marathon+by+medline&qid=1721590029&sr=8-1

Pooter
Jul 22, 2024 3:24 pm

I use compound tincture of benzoin.