Marks & Spencer Launches Stoma Pants in Various Colors and Sizes

Replies
Views
Douglas john
Aug 12, 2024 10:26 am

Applies to the UK. The Guardian newspaper reported last week that Marks & Spencers have brought out a range of stoma pants for ladies (men as well if you like). They come in a range of colors and sizes and incorporate a pocket to accommodate a stoma bag. Are stomas becoming mainstream?

Bill
Aug 12, 2024 11:11 am

Hello Douglas John.
Thanks for the information.
I had a look at these online (M&S call them 'stoma knickers'), and could not see how they differed from many other women's knickers.
My impression is that someone in their sales department has become familiar with stomas and saw an additional sales opportunity with garments that they already market mainstream.

If this is the case, the the clichΓ© 'buyer beware' seems relevant.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Aug 12, 2024 11:37 am

Ya know when I first got my ostomy and searched various things on the internet, I thought there were a lot of ostomies in England. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Douglas john
Aug 12, 2024 11:57 am
Reply to AlexT

Not verified, but I read once that 1/350 people in the UK have a stoma.

Beth22
Aug 12, 2024 12:49 pm
Reply to AlexT

AlexT, I have noticed the same thing and also noticed for ostomy clothes or bathing suits and some other things I noticed are there as well. We need to pick up the pace here.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Mysterious Mose
Aug 12, 2024 5:48 pm

Just a bit off topic, but I was searching for men's underwear on Amazon and came across these. George W would have loved them! 🀣

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Men-Enhancing-Underwear-Briefs/dp/B09ST7GPV1?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Β 

Douglas john
Aug 12, 2024 5:54 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

After real underwear problems following surgery, I found that unisex G-strings suit my Ken Butt perfectly.

AlexT
Aug 12, 2024 6:31 pm
Reply to Douglas john

TMI. 😁 The damn visual I'm getting... πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜¬

AlexT
Aug 12, 2024 6:33 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Kinda weird they'd make a pocket for an extra pair of socks. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Probably made in some country with lots of rain and they know the importance of having dry socks. 😁

Douglas john
Aug 12, 2024 7:30 pm
Reply to AlexT

The perfect Ken Butt. I'm not complaining πŸ˜‡

TerryLT
Aug 12, 2024 8:17 pm

I did read some statistics somewhere, can't remember where, that said a higher percentage of the population in the U.K. has ostomies. It was speculated that this was due to physicians in the U.K. being more likely to recommend ostomy surgery than those in North America. I know that my doctors didn't recommend it for me, and it wasn't until my colon perforated that I finally got my ostomy. I was told that ostomy surgery was mostly just for cancer patients.

Terry

Douglas john
Aug 12, 2024 8:26 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Hi Terry. It could be because we in the UK are lazy, overweight, unhealthy, and eat a crap diet. Sometimes I despair. My Ken butt was for rectal cancer. 😫😫😫😫 John

TerryLT
Aug 12, 2024 9:09 pm
Reply to Douglas john

Well, I think you are wrong on that one, my friend! I looked at the most recent stats, three sources here, so believe what you want. One shows rates of obesity for every country, with the U.S. coming in 13th, Canada coming in 55th, and the U.K. coming in 86th. The other two stats are obesity rates in the population, showing the U.S. with 42.7%, Canada with 24%, and the U.K. with 20%. The final stat shows the U.S. with a 50% obesity rate, Canada with 25%, and the U.K. with 20%. You guys have a long way to go, not suggesting you try to catch up!

Terry

Beachboy
Aug 13, 2024 6:17 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Β 

Β 

Wonder if they come with underwire support?

Β 

Β 

Douglas john
Aug 13, 2024 5:56 pm

Underwired support? More like scaffolding πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Douglas john
Aug 13, 2024 5:58 pm
Reply to TerryLT

You are of course right, Terry. I was only being cynical about my fellow countrymen (and women). Obesity is becoming a real issue in the UK, bringing with it the obvious strains on the NHS. John

Beachboy
Aug 13, 2024 8:11 pm
Reply to Douglas john

I'm thinking... popsicle stick?

Β 

ClaraD
Aug 13, 2024 10:17 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Hi Douglas,

I actually checked the M&S site and they seem to be underpants with a pocket to put the stoma bag in. So @Bill, I don't think these are regular pants being sold as stoma pants.
While I was on the site, I kept getting notifications that over 100 people bought them in the last 48 hours.
They also only come in black and are out of stock for most sizes online.

If anyone tries them, I'd love to hear how they compare in quality and fit to the more expensive stoma-specific brands out there.

Jayne
Aug 13, 2024 10:27 pm
Reply to AlexT

:-) :-)

Jayne
Aug 14, 2024 10:37 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Not yet seen in the UK physical retail yet.

Looks well designed and [as a female] but one who understands the design and cut of clothing [for all sexes], I can see this addresses both comfort and support, and of course, 'appeal' too.

Not seen anything like the range before - good to have the brand brought to attention.... UK ladies may find this a nice surprise present for the guys in their lives.

It's not often I look at ad links - but I am pleased I have sighted this one.

Β 

Thanks, Daniel!

Β 

Β 

almelia
Aug 17, 2024 7:17 pm
Reply to Bill

Hi Bill, it was a member of M&S staff with a stoma who suggested there was a market. The pants apparently have a full-width supportive pocket inside to hold the pouch close to the body. Also, they are 'cotton rich,' unlike most of the 'medical' products out there.

Also available in standard and Brazilian styles.

I intend to get some, but my size was sold out as of last night!

Hcbaggie
Aug 18, 2024 11:15 am
Reply to ClaraD

I bought these last week. My colostomy is quite low and I was always uncomfortable with it. They have improved my comfort immensely.