Seeking Shorter Ostomy Bags with Tuckable Velcro Features

Replies
Views
artingwithilly
Jul 21, 2024 5:56 pm

Hello!

I got a loop ileostomy on July 2nd and was fitted with a Hollister 2-piece system with a drainable pouch. I'm actually doing really well with this system so far, but my biggest issue is how long the bag is.

I'm fairly medium-tall for a woman too, so it's not like I'm petite, but the Velcro area is down on my thigh/crotch area and it's making wearing anything but baggy pajama pants pretty uncomfortable.

I asked my supplier and they said Hollister doesn't have a bag where the Velcro end tucks up into the bag, but I'm not sure if that's true? I also asked Convatec to send samples of their products that have that feature and they sent a Natura style but no instructions on how to secure it (the window I think you're supposed to tuck it into is facing up instead of down like I imagined, so it seems like I would turn the bottom half of the bag inside-out on itself??? It feels wrong) plus they sent me a flange that's much bigger than what I'm currently using (2 3/4" vs 2 1/4").

So I guess I'm just looking for suggestions of other samples I could try that would be shorter and/or where the Velcro folds up into the bag.

Or if there's an add-on solution to make my existing Hollister system work that way I would love that in the meantime too.

Thanks!

AlexT
Jul 21, 2024 7:05 pm

Have you tried a kid-sized bag? You could always add the famous Iggie Clip.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 21, 2024 7:12 pm
Reply to AlexT

The famous IGGIE clip:

Login to see image

eefyjig
Jul 21, 2024 8:08 pm

Hi artingwithilly, Hollister bags are twelve inches long, which is precisely why I wear them. I angle my bag into my underwear and there's plenty of room, so I empty less often. Maybe contact Convatec and Coloplast and ask for some samples in their two-piece systems. I know Coloplast's bags are shorter.

TerryLT
Jul 21, 2024 8:54 pm

Coloplast pouches are shorter and do have a system that allows you to tuck the end up inside.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Morning glory
Jul 21, 2024 9:48 pm

I fold mine in half inside my panty. It holds very well.

Nini4
Jul 21, 2024 11:15 pm

I wear the two-piece Hollister as well. I'm 5'1" and it hangs really low on me too. I usually angle the bag. They do make a 9-inch bag as well.

MBT
Jul 22, 2024 2:24 am

You have a few options. Trying a different pouch angle is one. Convatec does make a 10-inch pouch in the Natura line, #4401508. It is a clip closure and once the clip is on, 3 inches of the pouch can be tucked into the panels either on the front or back of the pouch. Coloplast also has shorter pouches that can be tucked or even swivel in whatever direction you want.

IGGIE
Jul 22, 2024 3:26 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Another check on its way for commission, Daniel. Regards, IGGIE

IGGIE
Jul 22, 2024 3:27 am
Reply to AlexT

Check on its way for commission, Alex. Regards, IGGIE

Hisbiscus
Jul 22, 2024 4:46 am

Just buy a maternity band. It's a tube top-like band to wear, and you can tuck the end of the bag at the bottom of the band. They also sell ostomy garments for this purpose online on Amazon, like Corsinol Stomasafe Plus, which is a good one.

I think you will be happy with a band because it holds things together and in place.

This way, you won't have to switch pouches if you like the one you're in. It doesn't matter what bag you're in; it's just uncomfortable without a band in any of them. This way, the bag can't get caught up in your slacks and get pulled on as well.

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 22, 2024 8:42 am

I wear the Hollister two-piece, and the Velcro tail tucks right up under in front in the material overlay (it does what the label says "lock 'n' roll") - in pics below (tucked on the left). Even if the bag is quite full and ready for take-off, it doesn't unroll.

I also wear the bag on a slight diagonal across my belly so it tucks into my undies, and wear jeans and fitted pants without a problem (bag? What bag!).

Login to see image

Login to see image

Kas
Jul 22, 2024 10:06 am

I wear Hollister and tuck the bag into my underwear for the same reason. Coloplast does make a shorter bag, but then you have to empty it more frequently.

Beachboy
Jul 23, 2024 6:56 am

You could fold up the bottom of a Hollister bag 2 or 3 times and secure it with an IGGIE clip. I'm a little guy with a long bag. My wife gets "excited" when my bag bottom peeks out under my shirt. To maintain domestic bliss, I fold up the bag bottom. The IGGIE clip... the gift that keeps giving.

IGGIE
Jul 23, 2024 1:40 pm
Reply to Beachboy

This commission business is sending me broke. I'll have to cut it back to 5% instead of 10% or I could just send you a Golden Iggie Clip to wear at the Olympics. Regards, IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Jul 23, 2024 3:33 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Login to see image

Beachboy
Jul 23, 2024 5:12 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

My favorite founding father.

Beachboy
Jul 23, 2024 5:14 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I would wear it with pride. Who needs gold medals?

trekgirl82
Jul 23, 2024 7:38 pm

I use Coloplast products. Their opaque bags actually have a small strip of Velcro near the top, so you can fold the bag in half and it stays. This helps to keep it out of the way and discreet.

whackjob74
Jul 23, 2024 11:14 pm

I use Coloplast Sensura Mio as well for these reasons especially. The bag is only 5.5" wide and 8.5" long. It does have Velcro on the bottom, and you can fold it up to about 4.5" if you are trying to make it even shorter for a particular outfit. I also prefer the adhesive on the Coloplast over the Hollister, as it is less irritating to my skin. Coloplast will send you samples to try.

kdel
Jul 25, 2024 1:18 am

I wear Hollister 18282. It's a kid's bag, and I love how short it is. The sharp-ish corners on the rolled-up part can't scratch my thigh.

It will mean emptying more often, but I'm fine with that. When I was using the regular size bags, I emptied pretty often anyway, because I don't like to have output hanging out in there any longer than necessary.

oldfart1942
Jul 25, 2024 3:59 pm

Reading this, I tried the fold-up trick, but also tried the IGGIE clip. I like it better. Thanks, IGGIE! Now my wife won't comment about my pouch showing as much. 🙂

Mysterious Mose
Jul 25, 2024 6:28 pm
Reply to oldfart1942

The IGGIE clip also brings peace of mind. 🤓

Daniel

rosebud621
Jul 28, 2024 12:11 am

Try Convatec two-piece; it comes in 10 and 12 inches. I have worn this system for 40 years; it's excellent.

Beachboy
Jul 28, 2024 12:35 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

IGGIE clip does ease my mind.

I'm lazy. Sometimes my old bag gets a bit heavy while I'm watching the telly. But never fear, I can let it go till later. IGGIE clip ensures I won't have a sudden "problem." And the royalty checks keep me hog high in potato chips.

Login to see image
The gift that keeps giving.

kayakkaren941
Jul 28, 2024 3:08 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I've been using those too. It seems like Convatec can't make hook and loop that functions.

IGGIE
Jul 28, 2024 3:12 pm
Reply to Beachboy

It's in the post. IGGIE

Barbiedoll34c
Aug 12, 2024 4:59 pm
Reply to Morning glory

Did you say you fold yours inside your panty? I do that, and was wondering if anyone else did this too. I am 4'11" (not a kid, but a very short woman) and it hangs down way too long. Was happy to see someone is doing this too! Barbara

Barbiedoll34c
Aug 12, 2024 5:08 pm
Reply to kdel

Hi! I am going to check this out! Is the bag really tiny? I have Hollister minis, and they really are! I am searching for a drainable, maybe shorter, and wider one. Is there such a thing? I'm so tired of the bag feeling so long on my body! I end up folding it inside my undies to make it fit better! Thanks for the info, and I will check out what you mentioned in your post…

Barbara

Beachboy
Aug 13, 2024 2:05 am

Check out Hollister 19283 bags. Much smaller. Note: My flange size is 2 1/4 inches. You might require a different part number for your flange diameter.

Login to see image

The drain is not folded up. Bags are 6.750 inches long with the drain folded and Velcro sealed.