Proctectomy Looking for Pist Op Advice/Tios?

Replies
Views
sharradams
Jul 22, 2024 10:28 pm

I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips from those who have had a proctectomy. Planning on surgery in September due to Crohn’s. Biggest worry is healing. 

I have an ileostomy and surgeon will change this to a colostomy. Thank you for your recommendations. 

warrior
Jul 23, 2024 1:52 am

Hi..welcome to the community.

As far as recovering , it will take a bit of time. U won't be able to sit so would suggest getting those adjustable tables..like the ones similar to hospital bedside tables. U will need to stand to eat. Maybe get one for the lap top? 

Getting into and out of bed u must keep legs together.  Hopefully u can just roll over like that. 

Have a person at home to help u out. Bending will be prohibited. IF u do attempt to sit, it's cheek to cheek. It won't be comfortable...  And a soft pillow. Not a donut pillow. 

Will u have nurse care at home?  Ask if surgeon is going to sew up yur butt cheeks.

What type of stitches will he use?   Others will chime in. I know I'm forgetting alot. 

My surgery was Oct  2023. 

Back to work  in 6 months. ..as an auto mechanic full time since.

There were issues. Leakage. Abcess. Infection. Possibly bc I moved around alot while recovering at home...

Also, not sure what kind of state disability u may get but , like me, mine ran out 2 months before returning to work!!

So u best have a means of receiving money, or a stock pile of cash saved up.  Look into what ever aid is available now and apply.  That sucked for me, another story. Ha!

The icons in the header above have info on kenn and barbie butts. Check them out.

Good Luck. It went by quickly regardless of issues I had that developed..and not much pain at all.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 23, 2024 2:18 am

It takes longer to truly heal than anyone thinks. Go slow and easy. It’s much harder to not sit than a person thinks. Since you already have an ostomy, you don’t have to worry about figuring that out too. 👍 Ask for dissolvable stitches. Pain was tolerable, I took Tylenol religiously for about a month, take it before you need it is key. I also had to give myself blood thinner shots for a month to prevent clots, not sure if that’s common practice for everything nowadays or not. They will/should advise you to eat lots of protein, it’s key to healing. Keep your wound clean, shower with warm water, I used whatever the foamy soap the hospital used for awhile, and pat dry. Your(or anyone’s) butt crack is an ideal location for infection so keep it clean/dry. Depending on what you do daily/work can influence how long it’ll take to heal. I dealt with a radiation wound and finally got back to work after 9 months. My surgeon originally thought about 3 months off but that wound kept delaying my return. Probably didn’t help I remodeled the upstairs of my house 3 weeks after surgery. Then it was turkey season, then fishing. 😁 The only thing I wish I woulda had while I healed was a recliner. I couldn’t sit in a regular chair and laying/standing all the time got old. A recliner at least helps you up/down and you can kinda sit on one cheek or the other, you don’t wanna sit directly down like a regular chair. Without complications it’s really not that horrible, just takes adjusting to for awhile, good luck. 

sharradams
Aug 01, 2024 5:10 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you for your advice.