Optimal Meal Sizes for Stoma Bag Management

Replies
Views
Moan-A
Jul 24, 2024 7:31 am

I'm interested in how much food a person with a stoma bag should eat each day and if there is really a benefit to eating smaller meals over 5 or 6 times a day rather than the 3 which has been our norm. I'm asking this specifically as I haven't had my stoma for very long (a couple of weeks) and have switched to smaller meals. However, I have had 2 accidents which both came on suddenly. One with the small meals and one eating our old meal size which, though not large, is more than I have been having. Any thoughts on this process would be helpful. Thanks, Moan-A

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 24, 2024 8:12 am

Depends on the individual, whether you have an ileostomy or colostomy, and what the reasons are for your stoma.

As it is very early days, your plumbing is getting used to a new configuration, and it takes a few months before you will figure out what works best. The same goes for accidents/leakages; when you get the hang of applying a good seal to your bag, these will happen less often.

I have had an ileostomy for 15+ years now and am one of the fortunate ones that can eat and drink anything and everything I want to. I have also only had one surgery, so I don't have the scar tissue/adhesions that some may have who have had several surgeries. I don't eat breakfast, but I have a largish lunch and about the same amount for tea.

I remember in the early days and weeks post-surgery, I was eating at more regular intervals (about every 3-4 hours a small meal plus a protein shake) and was advised to because I needed to put on weight (after several years of Crohn's). It took about 3 months before I felt fit and healthy (for the first time in years) and ready to take on the world!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
Jul 24, 2024 8:28 am

Hello Moan-a

I completely agree with Jo and I eat anything I wish. However, I try not to eat after 7 PM. I do get up at 3 AM each morning to empty, then back to sleep to avoid any overfilling disasters. You will get a handle on it all; just don't rush it, let it come to you.

AlexT
Jul 24, 2024 1:59 pm

I eat whatever and whenever.

IGGIE
Jul 24, 2024 2:48 pm

It's just trial and error, Moan-A. Time will have you doing and eating whatever you want. Good luck, IGGIE.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Mysterious Mose
Jul 24, 2024 4:09 pm

I agree with those that have come before me. :-)

Once you know what you can eat, how often you will want to eat depends a bit on your type of ostomy. I have an ileostomy, so the more often I eat, the more often I am emptying my pouch. You have a colostomy, so things are a little different for you. The important thing is that you are getting proper nutrition. You have at least some colon. So, digestion is probably a little more efficient than it is for us ileostomates. Several small meals tend to help an ileostomate get better benefit from the nutrients. Also, avoiding drinking while eating is good in that liquid tends to rush things through our abbreviated systems. :-)

Daniel

Daniel

cheryl112358
Jul 24, 2024 10:21 pm

I am a 7-week newbie to a colostomy and I am struggling with eating meals, but the two I do eat I ensure are full of protein. I don't eat after 4 and have gone about 4 nights without output until 7 in the morning. Right now I value my sleep so that works for me.
I started keeping a food, output, wafer/bag change diary on my phone in a notes app to help me learn about what affects my output.

AlexT
Jul 24, 2024 10:29 pm
Reply to cheryl112358

Having a colostomy, you shouldn't have continual output like an ileostomy can have.

Moan-A
Jul 25, 2024 7:07 am

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate your comments. I agree, time will tell regarding food input and waste output.