SLEEP

Replies
Views
HenryM
Jul 28, 2024 8:22 am

AS A YOUNG MAN, I RESENTED my body’s need for sleep.  There was just so much to do, so much going on, so many things to accomplish.  I enjoyed my work, I looked forward to it every day, and I pitied those people who wandered vacantly about the office at the end of the work week moaning “thank God it’s Friday.”  I wasn’t what’s called a ‘workaholic;’ I just felt an abiding sense of accomplishment at work.  Nor did my work enjoyment detract from having warm feelings about my home life, my wife and my two daughters.  I enjoyed that too.  Having to spend six to eight hours asleep, away from my work and home life, irritated me.  Now that I’m retired, however, and have somehow lived to become an octogenarian, my perspective on sleep has eased off a bit.  Some evenings, I actually look forward to plopping down into bed.  My need for the regeneration has never been greater.  The ostomy may dictate that I have a couple of get-ups per night, but I’ve adapted and usually fall back to sleep within about fifteen minutes.  I’d like to stop having motorcycle dreams, though, since I’d likely kill myself if I was foolish enough to get on one again.  

Jayne
Jul 28, 2024 10:49 am

Absolutely equate with all - cept I still resist bed to sleep until it is really needed!

To displace the motor bike thing Henry you could set an intention to dream about a n other specific [that may not kill you when you indulge] - ie meditate on this but when in your 'ready to sleep' situation ....  [maybe go for a swim - by invitation - from your favourite sea creature perhaps - as a 'fellow of theirs', of course.

....  just a thought

as ever, TY for your inspiration

:-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Jul 28, 2024 2:55 pm

I felt the same way about work, looked forward to it.  I worked 10-12 hours a day,  (and sometimes wayyy more), 7 days a week for 40 years.  My motto in the workplace was always: "Another day in paradise."  My coworkers appreciated this upbeat attitude, but were perplexed at the same time.  Since I was a little boy, I usually sleep 4 hours a night, never bothered me.  So, even though I worked alot, still had plenty of free time at home.  Also took 2 to 3, long, international vacations during the year and at Christmas shutdown.

Now retired, I still stay up till midnight and get up at 4 or 5 am.  My wife snoozes a.....long....time.  great for me and the cat. 😇