Ostomy and alcohol?

Replies
Views
Sophie96
Nov 01, 2012 5:19 pm
Hi guys, need a bit of advice of sorts.

I have never been much of a drinker at all, but always enjoyed the odd bit with my partner and on nights out.

So last night i went to stay with some family and my cousin took me out and i had a few. I cannot describe how good it was to just let go and try and relax a bit without worrying about everything! My partner and cousin didnt have many and they looked after me fine.

I had a slight headache when we got in and i was very tired but apart from that ive felt fine today! Only worry was that if i had too much, would i be able to empty my bag etc??

Was wondering if anyone has advice on the subject? Or i'd just like to know your stories how youve coped with it.

Sophie x

Past Member
Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm
Ive had my ileostomy for sometime ,ive always been able to cope very well with bag when ive been out and had a drink,The only thing i avoid is anything with too much fizzy stuff. Also if i drink too much red wine then it make the output much more fluidy. Lol i tend to stay of that one because its heavy on the head ie headaches. Its trial and error . Good luck sounds like your doing ok so far.. tc ambies..
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Primeboy
Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm
I have never had a problem after a drink or two. My only concern would be to watch out for dehydration. A glass of ice water goes well with a Manhattan or Merlot. PB
Past Member
Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm
I don't think I can add anything that ambies hasn't already mentioned, same goes for me, I love red wine (cures all ills I reckon) but it seems to be the one thing that does fill the bag a lot quicker. Have always felt that life is too short to worry about output! As long as there is a nearby loo you're right and pace yourself, really no need to be paralytic just to see what happens (and a feed or snack during the proceedings is a good idea!). Have tied one on on several occasions since my ileo 4 years ago and no dramas thus far, have drunk just about everything alcoholic from guinness to goldschlager to my fave bourbondry, as long as I down a water or two in the mix, don't even suffer from the dreaded hangover.One thing I have noticed in comparison to before the op, it seems to take a lot longer to get the warmfuzzies and I seem to be able to outlast all my bowel-intact mates and drink everyone under the table, lol! Cheers!
lemon
Nov 02, 2012 6:34 am
So the only problem I've had was dehydration, and it actually was kind of nice because I wouldn't of had the coordination to empty my bag. The trick is to drink ALOT, so much so that you throw up in your friends car and have no recollection of it the next day.(don't judge me haha) I don't have any output until I start drinking water the next day which is nice because I get to sleep as long as i need.I know its not very smart but it kinda works.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Sophie96
Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am
HI thanks for all the replies.I didnt seem to have any problem with dehydration at all, my bag kept doing its business all evening! Ha ha I did notice that because i was on the cherry sourz it started to go a bit reddish brown.Seems like wine makes it produce more but i dont like wine so thats not a problem for me! Lemon i love your honesty! Ha ha x
garfish
Nov 02, 2012 2:09 pm
eat,drink and be merry for tomorrow, who knows
Sophie96
Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm
Ha hs Garfish u like that. I have to say that it was the most fun ive had for a good few months!
weewee
Nov 07, 2012 4:20 am
hi all the only thing i really notice was the smell of my out put was way worse then the normal smell puts out and it lasted couple weeks so yes i dont really drink any more cause since my little friend is on the right side in the middle of my tummy i can smell myself faster it like farting in overalls and you are the first to get the wiff of outhouse fragerance
ron in mich
Nov 07, 2012 4:10 pm
hi sophie when i have a few cold ones i usually get a bag of pretzels and that seems to slow the output down, otherwise the alcohol goes right through me. ron in mich.
Sophie96
Nov 07, 2012 6:46 pm
I didnt notice any different smell at all, only more output but think thats more because of the volume of liquid not the fact it was alcohol
mooza
Nov 11, 2012 11:47 am
I have too many probs woth alchohol as it is atm but i agree with ambies on this subject dont have aproblem drinking it but mixing pain meds and such is a bad idea too much pain and trying to live this normal life does have its upd and down . you will and should be fine i use an ileo gel has my waste is so much water in pouch xxx
Sophie96
Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm
hi mooza, im not on any pain meds atm so dont need to worry about that and yea i get lots of watery output, have been thinking about looking into some sort of gel to help thicken it up x