Sensitive Skin Around Stoma with Hollister CeraRing Usage

Replies
Views
EllaG
Jul 29, 2024 6:36 am

Hi there, this is my first official post. I have learned so much just from reading (and a few comments).

So, why am I posting now?

When I changed my appliance this evening (colostomy), I once again had super irritated skin directly around my stoma. It is the exact same imprint as the Hollister CeraRing I use. This has been going on ever since I started using them (about a month and a half ago). My ostomy nurse thought my skin would get used to it. Nope.

I have no leakage, so that isn't causing the problem. I do have about three leftover dissolvable stitches that no one in my medical team seems to give two hoots about. They get sore and irritated for a short while after each change. Then they settle down.

I am wondering if there are other barrier rings that work just as well as the Hollister CeraRing but for super sensitive skin.

When I was still with home health, I never used a barrier ring and rarely had any issues. A little bit of leakage (nothing bad) and no irritated skin around the stoma. My ostomy nurse said I should use the barrier ring.

I have had the colostomy since 3/31/24. I am having reversal surgery in September or October, so I won't have this much longer (fingers crossed).

I have also heard something about paste. Will that work?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

Bill
Jul 29, 2024 7:13 am

Hello EllaG.
Welcome and thanks for posting your problem so clearly.

There are several other companies producing barrier rings and they all are made from slightly different ingredients, which might be better for your skin.
I couldn't get on with any of them or the pastes, so I 'reverted' to DIY baseplates and experimentation with materials that did not affect my 'sensitive' skin. As you are due for a reversal so soon, DIY is perhaps going to be more of a hassle than trying to find a manufactured solution. 
Overcoming skin sensitivity is often a matter of trial and error (mostly error in  my case)!
In the dim and distant past, I have tried all sorts of options to overcome this problem. A couple of 'adequate' but fiddly solutions involved wide medical adhesive tape for adhesion to the skin  with double-sided carpet tape so that it stuck on the devices 'wafer'.
I then found a wide double sided tape from Korea called 'sookwang', which did not adversely affect my skin, so I could skip the medical tape.
Eventually, I found that prosthetic glue was just as effective as a barrier between the device and the skin , and is obviously made to be hypoallergenic. I've been using this for some months now, without any adverse reactions. The one I use is called 'Probond', but there are several others I tried which were equally effective but were a bit 'messy' (a bit like the stoma pastes). 
 I hope that you will find a solution that suits your purpose for the time that you have left with your stoma .
Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Jul 29, 2024 7:31 am

Use a skin prep; that should help. I also use Salts ring with aloe.

AlexT
Jul 29, 2024 8:29 am

I'd try Eakin rings.

IGGIE
Jul 29, 2024 10:50 am

This is a test I did on a few different seals. As you can see, some are good and some not so good. But what is bad for me could be OK for you. It's all trial and error. Regards, IGGIE

Login to see image

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Jul 29, 2024 12:00 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Impressive, Iggie! - keeping track of things... and in addition, pictures! Then providing information to the MAO website. Thanks for that!

In my younger years - long ago and far away - this was my modus operandi. Sadly, today I no longer have the patience, or a computer (now I'm iPad-dependent 😒- missing Excel) to "keep track" - my bad.

I have requested and received many "samples" and within a short time, I have forgotten the product's names and distributors. When they send samples, there are usually only 3 - I think I may be a slow learner and 3 is just not enough time for me to truly see if they work for me - placement is key here and I admit, I am not very good at that. So I go right back to my old standby.

Trouble is - leaks, or as I now refer to them, seepage is a constant problem for me. I have really only had a few actual leaks. And one was in a restaurant and I fled for my life and sanity - while poor hubby sat outside the ladies' restroom waiting for me... as I left our booth I had exclaimed, "I have got to go," which meant I am running out the door!!! I waited in our vehicle for about 15 minutes wondering where he could have gone as he waited wondering, "What the frick is she doing?"

After 3+ years of ileostomy experiences, I now define a leak as outside any taped area soiling undies, bedding, or clothes - seepage is that dang ole' pooh wandering onto my skin but staying within the appropriate boundaries! Neither are any good!

I am guessing your info will be helpful to many... thanks for contributing! jb

DexieB
Jul 29, 2024 4:04 pm

Hi, I used Hollister Cera Rings before my reversal. 3M Cavilon skin barrier and a little stoma powder mixed in with it was something I used each time I put on my appliance - hopefully, you are using some type of skin barrier? If not, maybe that would help.

Jayne
Jul 29, 2024 11:42 pm

Hello

Most companies will send samples.

When I was at the height of my own skin sensitivities, I used a Coloplast back plate bag - check with Coloplast which of their products has zinc within its manufacture - their own staff chemist will know - and my own experience is that the zinc is a good healing element and also very kind to sensitivity as far as my own case was concerned [I still revert to Coloplast from time to time when sensitivities arise]. On a regular basis, I use Salts products including their barrier film - all work for me.

And no matter how soon your reversal is scheduled, I encourage you not to delay addressing skin sensitivity as you do not want skin sensitivities to delay healing once you are post-surgery having been closed - you want to be in the best shape for your reversal.

Good luck

BW

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Met422
Jul 30, 2024 5:58 pm

I recently started adding paste to the skin, then the ring. I wish I'd done that since I got the surgery 7 years ago! No leaks and my skin loves it!

Good luck!

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:38 pm
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill. I had to chuckle when I read "double-sided carpet tape." Who would have thought?

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:39 pm
Reply to xnine

Yes, I have used skin prep from the beginning. It works elsewhere, just not where the ring is.

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:39 pm
Reply to AlexT

I will look for them. Thanks.

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:41 pm
Reply to IGGIE

This is great. I have heard good things about the Coloplast option. I have not heard of the last option in the list. Lots of research to do.

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:45 pm
Reply to DexieB

Yes, a skin barrier is a must and I have used it from the start. I also use stoma powder as needed; however, I have read and been told not to use it with every change. This stuff is so confusing. Thanks for the info.

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:46 pm
Reply to Met422

What paste do you use? I may give your setup a try. Thanks!

EllaG
Jul 30, 2024 9:56 pm
Reply to Jayne

Yes, I want to be in tip-top shape for reversal. I have lost 29 pounds so far. I will see if I can find Salt products. Thanks.

aTraveler
Aug 09, 2024 1:51 pm

You can also try applying the ring on top of the barrier plate around your stoma. By the way, I do find the Brava barrier rings work fine for this approach. The Cera rings broke down faster. (1) Cut the ring in half, (2) slightly stretch each segment to make them horizontal with no curves at the ends, (3) fold each segment over along the horizontal, (4) roll each segment with your fingers to make horizontal cylinders, (5) identify the region of your stoma where you get the effluent output flowing, (6) wrap one segment around the stoma, centered behind the area where you get the effluent flowing — there is probably not enough ring to reach that open area, (7) take the remaining segment and fold it over so it fits in the open area. Any output will cause the segments to swell up around your stoma.

Hisbiscus
Aug 12, 2024 3:57 am

You could try calling all companies like Convatec, Coloplast, Safe and Simple, etc., to get samples to try and see if you get irritation. If you still get irritation, find out what adhesive is used on your bag wafer and order 4x4s and make your own rings out of those since you are not having irritation from the bag adhesive. I always got 2 rings out of a 4x4. I used to cut mine a little bit smaller than the bag's adhesive baseplate, and I cut the hole for the stoma just a tad smaller than the hole on the bag plate. An ostomy nurse taught me this little trick once when I had an issue.