Deep Soreness Near Ostomy Site - Causes and Solutions?

Replies
Views
Kimy
Jul 25, 2024 1:55 pm

Four months post-ileostomy. In the last couple of weeks, I noticed a sore area near the ostomy, fairly deep inside. The output has been thick. I have eaten a lot of watermelon, apples with peel, and tomatoes lately. Some pancaking/leaking at night. Any ideas what might be going on and how to fix it?

IGGIE
Jul 25, 2024 2:39 pm

G-Day Kimy, if it is a blockage and you feel sick or vomiting, go straight to Emergency. Best see your doctor if it's not a blockage and see what he can find. Regards, IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jul 25, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi, are you saying you are getting output from this fairly deep sore? That's how I read it.

How close is it to the stoma? Is it under the appliance where you can't see it until you change it?

If there is output, my best guess would be a fistula forming. If no output, definitely see your doctor or stoma nurse. Leakage from your appliance will make it worse.

Charleston man
Jul 25, 2024 3:25 pm

Hi Kimy,

I made the mistake several years ago of eating a raw apple the size of a softball, and that wasn't a good idea. I had sore pains around and near my stoma, felt feverish, nauseous, and was on the verge of vomiting. I didn't go to the ER, but I drank plenty of water, applied warm compresses, and rubbed the area. Luckily, it finally passed, and my output was thick as oatmeal 😳. Though I still eat raw apples, I now slice them up and chew thoroughly, skin and all. I've found that eating cooked apples is much safer.