Clip or Velcro Closures for Ostomy Bags - Which Do You Prefer?

Replies
Views
MBT
Jul 30, 2024 2:31 am

My product representative and I have talked about product trends. He says that more ostomates prefer Velcro closures. My observation as a WOCN is that manufacturers (Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec) may be underestimating how many ostomates prefer clip closures based on my interactions with people who have an ostomy.

Do you use a clip (the IGGIE clip counts!) or Velcro closure?

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 30, 2024 3:20 am

I have never used anything but the Velcro and have had no issues with it (15+ years ileo - always used Hollister); it seems pointless to me to have to attach an extra clip.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 30, 2024 3:48 am

Velcro only. My WOCN nurse showed me the clip and I said... yeah, no thanks.

sj68
Jul 30, 2024 5:15 am

Always the clip. Tried Velcro, had an accident, and would never trust it again.

Ben38
Jul 30, 2024 5:33 am

I've used Velcro closures since they became available over 20 years ago. One of my favorite improvements in bag technology, I've never had a single leak from a Velcro closure, unlike the plastic slam-down clips. I had quite a few issues with those, admittedly mostly my own fault for not closing the clip properly. I dropped quite a few down the toilet too, always had to carry a spare clip with me, and they brought a few tears to my eyes digging in my nether regions! Velcro closure even handled my loose, very high output jejunostomy when I had it for a year without a single leak from the closure. Just simply the best!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Bill
Jul 30, 2024 7:54 am

I use 3 small document clips, attached to a string around my neck to seal the irrigation sleeve which doubles as a bag. This can hold enormous amounts of output with no problems and therefore no concerns.

Kas
Jul 30, 2024 11:45 am

Velcro only.

Justbreathe
Jul 30, 2024 12:12 pm

Ileostomy here - different type of output from colostomy so I am guessing Velcro results may differ. I have tried both because I have requested a few samples from different suppliers as well as Amazon products. I found most with Velcro leaked on each side of the Velcro and I quickly lost confidence in that closure - a clip is my preference. Iggie clip is not for closure, right? As I understood it, it's to shorten bag length. jb

IGGIE
Jul 30, 2024 12:54 pm

G-Day MBT, I have always used the Velcro and never had a problem, but as the inventor, I also use the IGGIE Clip to shorten the bag as little or as much as you like. A little tip, if you go for Velcro, when you open a new batch of bags, close the end of them all right away; that way, you never forget and don't find out you forgot to close the bag until you have a nice warm feeling running down your leg. Regards, IGGIE

ron in mich
Jul 30, 2024 1:22 pm

I use clips as I hate cleaning stuff off Velcro.

Happytostillbehere
Jul 30, 2024 4:09 pm

First Hollister product I used had the Velcro closing end up, and I was always worried that I would catch it on something. I wound up using the Iggy clip. Hollister discontinued that pouch, and what I'm using now, Velcro closes with the end facing down, feels more secure.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 30, 2024 4:36 pm

Velcro with an Iggie clip to both shorten the bag and bring peace of mind.

Daniel

DeMaGo
Jul 30, 2024 6:48 pm

Hi,

I have only used Velcro and never had a problem with it. I have neuropathy in my fingertips, which can be a problem handling things, but the Velcro is easy to use.

Like IGGIE above mentioned, I close up all my bags with the Velcro so they're ready to go.

Desiree

Nini4
Jul 30, 2024 7:36 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Good point about closing the bags. I've had a few surprises along the way. Not good first thing in the morning.

Morning glory
Jul 30, 2024 7:40 pm

37 years with an ileostomy and have tried both. I much prefer the clip. Poo on Velcro is terrible to clean. Never had a problem when using the clip.

TerryLT
Jul 30, 2024 7:54 pm

Velcro all the way, but make sure to press those two pieces together really well. I learned the hard way after one accident. Thankfully, it was in my kitchen, not out in public!

Terry

w30bob
Jul 30, 2024 8:37 pm

Used clips exclusively when I first got my little bundle of joy from the surgeon. After I mistakenly flushed it down the toilet at work one day, and didn't have a backup, I started to rethink things. Then one broke at the hinge when I was away from home; luckily, I had a spare with me, but decided to check out the Velcro, and I never returned to clips again. But I've got hundreds of brand new ones if you need some; just let me know. They make terrible Christmas ornaments!

;O)

warrior
Jul 31, 2024 12:18 am

Started out back in 2016 with a clip. Thought it was just plain dumb. Who needs extra items on their bag of goodies? Not me. Switched to Velcro. Never looked back. No accidents, either.

If you're getting poop on the Velcro lining, you are emptying it wrong.

It folds nicely to avoid poop when emptying.

Beachboy
Jul 31, 2024 2:36 am
Reply to ron in mich

Output doesn't get on the Velcro. Only on the inside of the two plastic closures.

Beachboy
Jul 31, 2024 2:50 am

18 months post-op. Only use Hollister Velcro closure with IGGIE clip with my colostomy. No problems.

I've had some surprises, really full bags, stuck in traffic driving home from work. It gives new meaning to the term: Stop and go. Had no leaks or poop-plosions.

Tip: Bag really full, take off IGGIE clip, unroll drain, reattach clip. Provides a little more bag volume and secures the Velcro.

DavidK
Jul 31, 2024 9:07 am

Velcro all the way, I have used sandals with Velcro fastening and never had any issues.

Axl
Jul 31, 2024 10:42 am

I use Braun appliances; they have a nylon-to-nylon super tough Velcro, it's awesome.

I have tried others but hated the Velcro setup on them.

warrior
Aug 01, 2024 12:38 am
Reply to Beachboy

True, but a poster above mentioned it did and switched.

So I can't imagine how this occurs. Poop on Velcro? Nope, tried it with crayons. Can't picture it.

AlexT
Aug 01, 2024 12:51 am

No idea how anyone gets poop on the Velcro; that must be an acquired skill. 😁

Beachboy
Aug 01, 2024 1:40 am
Reply to warrior

Must be a pretty big poop bomb to encrust the Velcro.

Probably need an umbrella.

DavidK
Aug 01, 2024 11:54 am

Some serious acrobatics going on around here, hat tip to anyone getting poop on the Velcro, it's nigh on impossible with the salt bags.

TerryLT
Aug 01, 2024 9:26 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Actually, one of the things I hated about Coloplast pouches, those ones with the little Velcro wing on each side, was that I was always getting output on the Velcro. I don't know why, and I never experienced it with other brands.

Terry

Beachboy
Aug 02, 2024 1:46 am
Reply to TerryLT

That makes sense. The Velcro on those is closer to the drain area. Hollister Velcro is higher up from the drain.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 02, 2024 10:08 pm
Reply to TerryLT

That's one of the reasons I have never bothered with Coloplast. I am perfectly happy with the Hollister pouches. Like Dan says, the Velcro is higher up.

warrior
Aug 02, 2024 10:39 pm
Reply to Beachboy

And it's as high up there to your chin? If those wings were any higher, Sally Field (the flying nun) would even do a double take.

Interesting about the lower wing type bag getting pooped on. Just... can't... see... how... that happens.