Hollister 2-Piece System - Drain Tip for Easier Use

Replies
Views
Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 4:46 pm

Hello new colostomy warriors,

If you're using a Hollister 2-piece system... here is a drain tip provided to me by my ostomy nurse.

Put a pleat in the drain plastic.

Login to see image
Pinch each side to put a crease in it.

Login to see image
What it looks like before pushing the lips together, then folding the plastic up and fastening the Velcro.

The pleat will make it easier to separate the plastic drain when it's filled with output.

There ain't nothing stickier than poop. 😉

Mysterious Mose
Aug 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Indeed. That is the first thing I do when I open a box of bags. I crease them and then seal them. Nothing is worse than struggling to open the darned pouch with dry hands. :-)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Aug 04, 2024 7:13 pm

Been doing that since week 1. 👍

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 7:13 pm

This "pinch to pleat" works great on a dry, new bag. Each time I empty, sometimes it's easy. Other times I need a pry bar to open up that thing.

You darn tooting... poop sticks like nobody's business. Gorilla glue!!

Here's an image. Did you see the movie Saving Private Ryan?

Tom Hanks toward the end of the story needed to take out enemy tanks.

He asked his men to fill their socks with poop and add TNT (dynamite) and throw the socks at approaching enemy tanks.

Thought #1 - ostomy bag in the making.

2 - An ostomate soldier would have no issues doing this.

3 - Talk about a stink bomb.

AlexT
Aug 04, 2024 7:16 pm
Reply to warrior

It was axle grease and called a sticky bomb.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 7:27 pm
Reply to warrior

Hey Daddy, what did you do in the war?

Well, daughter. There were these pouches...

DeMaGo
Aug 04, 2024 8:44 pm

Hi,

I learned this from my nurse too. The Hollister I find harder to open and pinch. The Coloplast I don't have to pinch; just squeeze the ends and it opens.

Desiree

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 9:18 pm

Before I was informed about crimping the drain plastic, I would spend a long time trying to open the drain halves. I tried toothpicks, put water on it, twisted and pulled it. No dice. Poop cemented it shut—very shut—and nothing seemed to budge it.

So, I snapped off the bag, grabbed a new pouch, and all was good in Margaritaville. Now where did I put my shaker of salt?

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 11:19 pm
Reply to AlexT

I like my version better. Positive there was more stuff around than grease. I'm gonna remake the movie. 🤣🤔😲

keepers51
Aug 05, 2024 5:08 am

Great tip, Beachboy,

I hope you don't mind if I add a tip to go along with yours...
I've been using the clear bags, as you show, and to help keep things from getting jammed up at the top as much as possible, I use mineral oil on the inner surface and crinkle as much of the plastic surface as I can all the way from the top to the bottom using my thumb and forefinger to break the surface tension of the plastic. Along with the mineral oil, it really helps to allow the output to make its way to the bottom.

AlexT
Aug 05, 2024 6:02 am
Reply to Beachboy

If you use your thumb and first finger, squeeze the tip of the bag together and kind of do the motion of snapping your fingers, it'll pull them apart.

kittybou
Aug 05, 2024 5:21 pm

Thank you!

Mysterious Mose
Aug 05, 2024 7:16 pm
Reply to AlexT

That doesn't work so great here in the land of 10% humidity. :-)

PistolPeets
Aug 09, 2024 12:07 am

My ostomy nurse showed me to crease it like you do, and then cut part of the crease towards the outside of the bag to help get it open easier. I wish there was an easier way because the existing openings are messy to clean. That goes for all of them I've tried, with the exception of the Coloplast high output bags that have a drain plug. Those are actually very convenient!