Seeking Recommendations for Stoma Guards Compatible with Hollister Pouches

Replies
Views
Hugo
Aug 05, 2024 9:28 pm

Hi all. I am looking for a stoma guard to protect my stoma from my car seatbelt. I have a colostomy and use Hollister 2-piece pouches. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on a good one to purchase. Thanks.

Beachboy
Aug 05, 2024 11:03 pm

Hello,

I have a colostomy and use Hollister 2 piece like you.

So far, what I do is leave the seatbelt plugged in. Get in the car and pull the cross belt that's behind me, over my head. Leave the lap belt behind me plugged in.

Not the safest idea, I know. A fellow ostemate is trying out a knee guard as a stoma protector.

Currently, my seatbelt, lap belt goes across right underneath my stoma. I'm thinking of adding a couple of small straps to pull the lap belt lower and away from my stoma. I would run each strap from the lap belt to each leg. Not sure if this will work, but something to try.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hugo
Aug 05, 2024 11:12 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks, Beachboy. I will definitely give your suggestions a go. I'm pretty new on here, but have seen many of your posts and replies to other posts. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 05, 2024 11:18 pm

A clever and inexpensive solution: https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32418

Hugo
Aug 05, 2024 11:22 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you, Mose. I will look it up.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Aug 05, 2024 11:46 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks, Mysterious Mose. Yes, this is the one I referenced in my reply to Hugo; I forgot who posted it. I'm looking on Amazon for one just like it, a composite knee guard. The flattened radius would help keep the lap belt in place, and the wide contact envelope would deflect compressive loads away from the stoma itself.

w30bob
Aug 06, 2024 4:02 am

Hi Hugo,

There are tons of different ones out there, and how each fits and protects depends on one's body type, stoma location, etc. So it's hard to recommend anything to anyone with all those variables. As for the seatbelt, I just pull the part of the seatbelt that would sit right on top of my stoma all the way out and wrap it over my right knee. This way, when I pass a cop, it looks like I'm wearing my belt from their vantage point. For me, it's the simplest way to get around having my stoma shut off by a self-tightening seat belt. And yeah, I know if I do get into an accident, I could have my femur thrown out the back of my ass, but I like living dangerously. Otherwise, what's the point?

Just Google 'stoma guard' or 'stoma protector' and see what works for you. Many folks have made their own... just takes a nice piece of aluminum and a hammer and dolly. Or if you have a 3-D printer, you can make as many as you want, tweaking as you go! Then sell them to us to pay for your printer and spools of material!

;O)

wiehejenny
Aug 06, 2024 1:06 pm

I have bought the hard plastic stoma guards, but I rarely use them. Instead, I bought one off of Etsy that is basically a tiny pillow that attaches to your seat belt, and you can slide it to cover your stoma. This has been the most comfortable for me, but I am sure it depends on the placement of your stoma.

DexieB
Aug 06, 2024 1:36 pm
Reply to wiehejenny

Yes, I also had this - but I bought it on Amazon. It was two tiny pillows that went on either side of my stoma and attached to the seat belt. Worked great!

SissySue
Aug 06, 2024 8:39 pm
Reply to Hugo

Hi, Hugo!

I ordered a "stoma seat belt protector" from Amazon and love it. I've had it for almost a year and can even take it with me to use in someone else's car. It is pillow-like and has Velcro tabs to secure it to your seatbelt. It is comfortable and provides needed protection for my stoma. It costs around $17, so it's affordable.
Hope this helps you!

SissySue

DeMaGo
Aug 06, 2024 11:34 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks Mysterious Mose, also Beachboy,

I was going to reply about this here.

So far, my testing with the kneepad has been good, and I really like that it covers everything.

I get around by wheel transit here, and the vehicles and drivers are different. I was worried about if they suddenly braked and I had an accident.

Desiree

Hugo
Aug 08, 2024 10:37 pm
Reply to SissySue

Thanks, SissySue.