Has Anyone Had Their Ostomy Site Relocated for Convenience?

Replies
Views
auntipasta
Aug 09, 2024 6:02 pm

Has anyone found that they needed to have a permanent ostomy and the surgeon moved the site? When I was given the colostomy, the opening was placed just under my lowest left rib. When they removed a stricture and reconnected the colon, I was given an ileostomy and the small intestine stoma comes out in the exact same site.

Has anyone experienced the moving of the ostomy surgical site to a more convenient area of the abdomen?

HenryM
Aug 09, 2024 7:23 pm

Yes, I have.  My original site was right belly, a few inches from the navel.  That lasted for decades.  In 2011, a breakdown just off from the stoma required the surgery to be re-done, whereupon they put it on the left side of my belly.  In fact, I drew an X on the spot that I selected; I wanted it a sufficient distance below the belt line.  The surgeon accommodated me.  I've had no issues since.  I suspect that many surgeons lack the practical knowledge about the daily functioning of a stoma and the related problems that we all encounter from time to time.  Misplacement of a stoma is a prime example.  Good luck to you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beth22
Aug 09, 2024 9:03 pm

Hey there,

Yes, mine has been moved 4 times for various reasons, but yes.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 09, 2024 9:43 pm

I have a permanent ileostomy, and I had it relocated because it was in my waistline, and I couldn't keep a bag on it. So it was moved up from where it was. So, yes, I have had mine relocated.

Hisbiscus
Aug 12, 2024 4:23 am

When I had my temporary ileostomy, my stoma was on the right. Then, two years later with my end ileostomy, they moved it to the left. I think when the surgeons go in, they make that decision for different reasons as to what's going to work out better for us and decide to move or not to move depending on what they run into.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play