Showering with a Pouch Post-Surgery - Tips?

Replies
Views
Missb
Aug 12, 2024 10:42 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this. I just had surgery for this unexpected thing in my life, but how can you take showers with the pouch on? Doesn't getting it wet make the tape loose?

AlexT
Aug 12, 2024 11:28 pm

Just shower like normal. A lot of people shower with no bag on also to clean the skin really well and let it get some fresh air. There are products you can buy to cover it if you prefer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Kas
Aug 12, 2024 11:59 pm

Yep, you can shower naked if you want, but if you want to soak in the tub you've got to keep your bag on.

eefyjig
Aug 13, 2024 12:45 am

Everything can get wet. I shower with my bag on if I know my stoma is too active for a "naked" shower. The material is designed to dry pretty quickly with a towel wipe down, but a hair dryer speeds things along. Just be sure not to set it too hot, or things will melt!

wef
Aug 13, 2024 12:57 pm

I always shower with the bag on. As active as my stoma is, I wouldn't consider it naked.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
gentlejohn
Aug 13, 2024 6:45 pm

I use Hollister barriers and shower with my appliance in place with a barrier change every 5-7 days. When I need tape, I use 3M Medipore tape. It is waterproof and I have had no problems with it coming off in showers between barrier changes. It is available in many places. I got mine on Amazon.

Mayoman
Aug 13, 2024 8:48 pm
Reply to Kas

Having a soak in the tub could get messy! Muddy waters... and I'm not talking about the blues genius, but you would surely be singing the blues when the bathwater turns muddy 😭☘😜.

Showering naked minus your plastic passenger feels so good! It's also great for the skin around the stoma and under the wafer; fresh air exposure is great for the skin. A clean, hairless, glueless belly gives your baggies a much better grip, which means much less chance of a leak!

Good luck ☘

Hisbiscus
Aug 25, 2024 12:34 pm

I'm one of those people whose bag does loosen up after a shower. So I change every day. I think the soaps, shampoos, and conditioners have a lot to do with it.

nealperkins
Aug 31, 2024 9:40 pm

Just today I received, from Amazon, a box of 100 disposable shower caps (cheap). They work great and I don't need to wait a bit for the bag to dry.

oldfart1942
Sep 01, 2024 9:47 pm

I change my flange or whatever you want to call it once a week, and my pouch every 3 or 4 days. First, I shower, then do the change so the wet bag gets thrown out. In between, I just dry the bag after the shower, maybe using a hair dryer. I tried a pouch cover from Amazon, but it didn't work very well.