milestone

Replies
Views
cancernomore
Oct 16, 2015 10:26 pm
My first big milestone today.I had surgery in September and have been afraid to leave the house. Not only did I go shopping today, but I emptied my pouch in a public restroom. This was huge for me in regards to regaining a nomal life. I had my little kit with me so that helped. I love to hear from othet who have this fear.

Bill
Oct 17, 2015 7:16 am
Hello cancernomore. Thanks for your post as it is a useful reminder of those very early days when these sorts of worries linger in the back of our minds until we get out there and put them to rest. I suppose it is like any other learning process in that we tend to be cautious and a little afraid of those first steps until we have made them and come out on the other side refreshed and energised with the new experience. As you say it is a 'milestone' and may there be many more positive ones in your journey into the future. Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ron in mich
Oct 17, 2015 7:48 pm
hi cancernomore when i had my initial surgery i only left my house to walk in the yard, but my surgeon cautioned me to not overdo it but also to set goals each week, to walk a little more or try to eat more as i was only able to eat small meals of low residue foods, so i was pretty happy the first time i was able to go shopping with my wife.
cancernomore
Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm
That's such a bug thing for us. I'm still afraid to leave the house without my husband. I don't know what I think he's do, but it' security. I have always been a strong, independent, woman and want that back
AusRob
Oct 21, 2015 9:20 am
Cancernomore!!Well done, Ihad the same fears on my first outing. I always have a carry bag with me which contains a full set of everything i need for a change if necessary, wipes, cleaners, waste bags, appliance etc as tho i was home, also some briefs if required.. stay strong.. good luck.. rob.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
cancernomore
Oct 22, 2015 2:58 pm
Thanks Aus Rob, I convinced my husband I needed a bigger purse. May go to a back pack
Mrs.A
Oct 23, 2015 10:26 pm
Yay and great for you Cancernomore!!This is the first step and there will be many more you will accomplish. You'll see. I was a bit nervous going back to work and how things would work out in the restroom then. Many years later, I don't worry much but do have days when I would rather go home and have a shower then change my complete appliance at the job.I keep a very small purse with just my supplies and very few other things. If I got a bigger purse it would get filled with too much and become heavy to carry. I like to keep it simple when possible.
cancernomore
Oct 24, 2015 12:35 am
Dear Mrs. A Still trying to figure this whole thing out. It helps to hear from you. I not at the point where I can change the complete appliance. Just the bag. My husband does the rest. I now I've got to start learning. I feel i'd be in the public bathroom for an hour. I'm only 2 months out, so I am trying to take this in steps. Thanks Carol
kruzer
Nov 03, 2015 12:37 pm
you bet that is a big deal. You will see that the prison life to a bathroom is over. Pack your kit of supplies. Keep it in your purse and go explore the world. Before you know it, you may be on a plane heading to France!!! You are free!!!!!
cancernomore
Nov 03, 2015 3:24 pm
DEar Kruzer, Thank you Right now I feel like a ball and chain tie me to the bathroom I've gone back to yoga and that's a big step. I want to go back to swimming but don't want to wear a stealth belt. I'll get the nerve. I appreciate your advice
Mrs.A
Nov 03, 2015 10:29 pm
Well Carol you will be a pro soon enough, then there will be no stopping you!
kruzer
Nov 04, 2015 1:55 am
picture frame your wafer with waterproof tape and get in the pool!!!!