Has Anyone Undergone the ALT Flap Procedure for Ostomy?

Replies
Views
Tickpol
Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm having a permanent ostomy in a few months.  I've had Crohn's since I was 17 and I had a temporary ostomy when I was 21.  Through the years I've had a number of fistulas and the ones down my by anus required fistulectomies.  As a result I'm pretty much all scar material down there.

After my surgeon has created my ostomy I will have my rectum and anus removed.  Then a plastic surgeon will use the ALT Flap Procedure to reconstruct the area.  This procedure harvests a "patch" from your thigh which then is used to correct the defect at the anus.  So basically afterward I'll lool like a Ken doll; cleavage but no other "landmarks".

Anybody have this procedure?

How long were you in the hospital?

How long was your recover?

Any "if I knew then" lessons you want to share?

Dave

jerseyrobert
Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello, I had the ostomy and bum taken care of at the same time. I remember it took quit a while for the bum to heal. I actualy had to use oxogen therapy so it would heal faster. You're going to fine as long as you take it easy. keep intouch on whats going on. Bobby 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Tickpol
Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Just as a follow-up....

Turns out that even though I had numerous fistulectomies and lots of scar material my surgeon had enough good skin to close my bum so no Alt-Flap!

I'm so glad because as an old fart my healing powers are nowhere near what they used to be and my recovery took much longer than I thought.

Dave