Seeking Small-Sized Ostomy Wear for a Tiny Waist

Replies
Views
Barbie400
Aug 15, 2024 9:56 pm

Hi y'all

I'm hoping someone here is able to help me. I am pre-ileostomy surgery, trying to be prepared and buy some ostomy underwear and ostomy bands prior to my surgery. I want to try some brands and see what's comfortable for me so I can have what I need post-op.

But besides having an issue of not really knowing where to shop—I did pick up a few websites from some other posts here, and my stoma nurse told me about ostomysecrets. The main issue I'm having is that I can't find anything small enough for me 🙈. My waist is about 21.5 inches, and whatever I have ordered in the smallest size is too big.

I'm hoping I'll gain some weight post-op, but that's not a given, so I've got to be prepared. Anyone else out here not fitting into adult clothes that can help me?

Thank you

kittybou
Aug 15, 2024 11:36 pm
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Barbie400
Aug 16, 2024 6:42 am
Reply to kittybou

😂😂😂

Why all the boys' stuff? A boys' XXXL shirt with lights in my shoes! Great combo there 😂

I do buy kids' clothes all the time (girls!!), but haven't found the right ostomy wear. Any suggestions for that?

IGGIE
Aug 16, 2024 12:23 pm

G-Day Barbie, they do have stoma bags for children; you should ask your stoma nurse about them. Regards, IGGIE

Mrivera8
Aug 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Hi Barbie! I just ordered high-waisted underwear on Amazon and tucked my ostomy in them. I have a 25” waist, so it's a bit easier for me to find something that fits, but I was able to find a 23” size (the smallest I can find so far). If you go to Amazon and search for FINETOO, they have some cute and comfy options. Also, Hollister used to have mini pouch ostomy bags. I'm not sure if they still do, but it may be worth checking. :)

Login to see image

Login to see image

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Jayne
Aug 16, 2024 6:13 pm

Just a thought, Barbie 400 ....

I appreciate that you wish to prepare - but without the foreknowledge of the exact position of your stoma - you might find that what you buy, certainly pant/brief wise - may not be the 'appropriate cut' [viz high leg bikini brief mini brief g-string etc] .... so do not overbuy as you may be 'unfortunately pre-prepped'

One thing to think about too is the cut can be more comfortable with a brief which is clear of your stoma [allowing for the pant line not to rub inappropriately across your stoma - particularly immediately post-op] ..... But if you are at the point of having discussed such detail [usually there are options for placement - but no guarantee as surgical placement may need to vary despite one's first 2nd third choices] - depending on your surgeons' skill and the procedure in theatre and what is found / happens during surgery ....  then I guess you are better placed to commit to more shopping.  

Trying stuff on is pretty important too - [I realize I'm stating the obvious] for I find that sizing on mail / e-commerce order - even taking into account online reviews - does not necessarily match the detail of what arrives - comfort can only be checked once a product is worn [so I get your wish to get some groundwork done  :-))

May I respectfully suggest, you do not predetermine a 'mind-set' before the surgery is done ..... just to prepare for flexibility - GOOD LUCK - and please do not be deterred by my words - but just be aware so you are not 'wrong-footed' or disappointed or wind-up with a surprise variation of exact stoma position ..... for believe me the position of a top [cross line] of mini brief and a bikini brief coupled with the leg edge [and the size chosen within a range once sourced] can be crucial to one's comfort and your own  good tolerance / happiness :-)) [I speak of UK market ladies and girls underwear - the US retail may be different] - but probably not.  [Our stomas are particularly sensitive to a pant line or jean belt etc  when coinciding right across the middle of  it - BUT JUST CLEAR OF IT CAN ACTUALLY BE AMAZINGLY COMFY]  and there is something 'very very normal' when first getting your own underwear on ... helps one to feel feminine again!

Hope thoughts don't sideline - for only trying to broaden understanding here .... for personally [I was very small waisted when my surgery was first done [18 inch waist] and I found that off the shelf [rather than ostomate specific clothing] suited my wish to have as normal a body image as possible .... and couple that with a non-medical appliance looking bags - is a big confidence booster - for 'body beautiful' is a healthy self-image to protect and maintain, [and mentally disregard the early wound appearance - for that quickly fades] so don't be too needy of 'covering up' ..... because being as YOU as possible - as early as possible, rather than  feel one is needing to change one's 'personal image' where a medical appliance either dominates or needs to be 'covered up'  is a really healthy aim and positive image to hold .... Just shared food for thought .... it may help.

BW

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Jayne ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

TerryLT
Aug 16, 2024 8:38 pm

I agree that you should wait until you actually have your ostomy. It's admirable that you want to prepare yourself and have such a good attitude, but you may save yourself lots of trouble and money if you wait. I found that the solution to my problem was getting a good seamstress/alterationist, who could alter my pre-ostomy clothes that I could no longer wear. I am a small person too, with not a lot of real estate to work with. I have to wear hipster pants, shorts, capris, underwear. Instead of having to throw out many of my clothes, I've managed to have them altered instead. Good luck!

Terry

MBT
Aug 17, 2024 2:50 am

Once you have your ostomy, you might check out Vanilla Blush's website. They make ostomy underwear for women and older children in a variety of sizes. They use the metric system, but Nic is very helpful if you have sizing questions.